Triaxial Testing of Unsaturated Soils
This paper highlights the key features of triaxial testing of unsaturated soils. The modifications to a conventional triaxial apparatus and the test procedures for various unsaturated soil triaxial tests are described. Test results for an undisturbed residual soil tested under consolidated undrained (CU) and constant water content (CW) conditions at three different strain rates are presented. The test results showed that φ b is not a constant, but decreases as matric suction is increased. The shear strength envelopes obtained from CU and CW tests at the three different strain rates are similar.
KeywordsTriaxial Test Unsaturated Soil Residual Soil Matric Suction Soil Specimen
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bishop, A.W., Donald, I.B.: The experimental study of partly saturated soil in triaxial apparatus. In: Proc. 5th Int. Conf. on Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering, vol. 1/3, pp. 13–21 (1961)Google Scholar
- Edil, T.B., Motan, S.E., Toha, F.X.: Mechanical behavior and testing methods of unsaturated soils. In: Yong, R.N., Townsend, F.C. (eds.) Laboratory Shear Strength of Soil. ASTM STP 740, pp. 114–129 (1981)Google Scholar
- Head, K.H.: Manual of Soil Laboratory Testing, Effective Stress Tests. Pentech Press (1980)Google Scholar
- Hilf, J.W.: An investigation of pore-water pressure in compacted cohesive soils. Technical Memo 654, U.S. Dept of the Interior, Bureau of Reclamation, Design and Construction Div., Denver, Colorado (1956)Google Scholar
- Katte, V., Blight, G.E.: The roles of surface tension and solute suction in the strength of unsaturated soils. In: Unsat 2012, Int. Conf. on Unsaturated Soils, Naples, Italy, p. 5 (2012)Google Scholar
- Leong, E.C., Tripathy, S., Rahardjo, H.: A modified pressure plate apparatus. Geotechnical Testing J. 27(3), 322–331 (2004a)Google Scholar
- Leong, E.C., Agus, S.S., Rahardjo, H.: Volume change measurement of soil specimen in triaxial test. Geotechnical Testing J. 27(1), 47–56 (2004b)Google Scholar
- Leong, E.C., Cahyadi, J., Rahardjo, H.: Stiffness of a compacted residual soil. In: Proc. 4th Int. Conf. on Unsaturated Soils, pp. 1168–1180. Geotechnical Special Publication 147 (2006)Google Scholar
- Leong, E.C., Nyunt, T.T., Low, K.S.: Local displacement transducer with Anderson loop. Geotechnical Testing J. 34(6), 676–684 (2011)Google Scholar
- Romero, E., Facio, J.A., Lloret, A., Gens, A., Alonso, E.E.: A new suction and temperature controlled triaxial apparatus. In: Proc. 14th Int. Conf. on Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering, Hamburg, Germany, vol. 1, pp. 185–188. BalkemaGoogle Scholar