Experimental Study of the Deformation Pattern around a Penetrating Coned Tip
Improved knowledge on the deformation pattern around the tip during cone penetration tests is needed. In the present experimental work, the observations and measurements of real soil behavior around a penetrating tip in laboratory tests are presented. Two experimental setups are described: one involving freezing the sample after penetration to preserve deformation patterns and failure features, and one involving computerized tomography. Similar failure patterns were observed in both tests regarding compression directly under the tip and shear structures along the shaft that might be related to a process of accumulation and release of friction during penetration.
KeywordsVoid Ratio Triaxial Test Deformation Pattern Cone Penetration Test Silicon Powder
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bradshaw, A.S., Baxter, C.D.P.: Sample preparation of silts for liquefaction testing. Geotech. Test J. 30, 324–332 (2007), doi:10.1520/GTJ100206Google Scholar
- Kobayashi, T., Fukagawa, R.: Charact of deform process of CPT using X-ray TV imaging tech. In: Di Benedetto, H., et al. (eds.) Deform Charact of Geomater. Taylor & Francis, Lyon (2003)Google Scholar
- Liu, W.: Axisym centrif model of deep penetr in sand. Dissertation, Univ of Nottingham (2011)Google Scholar
- Lunne, T., Robertson, P., Powell, J.: CPT in geotechnical practice. Blackie Academic, NY (1997)Google Scholar
- Morita, K., Otani, J., et al.: Eval. of vert and lateral bearing capacity mech of pile found using X-ray CT. In: Kikuchi, Y. (ed.) Advances in Deep Foundations, Taylor & Francis, London (2007)Google Scholar
- Muromachi, T.: Experimental study on application of static cone penetrometer to subsurface investigation of weak cohesive soils. ESOPT 2, 192–285 (1974)Google Scholar
- Poulsen, R., et al.: Effect of drainage conditions on CPT in silty soils. PCSMGE, Toronto (2011)Google Scholar
- Roy, M., Michaud, D., Tavenas, F., Leroueil, S., Rochelle, P.L.: The interpretation of static cone penetration test in sensitive clay. ESOPT 2, 323–330 (1974)Google Scholar
- Sridharan, A., Sivapullaiah, P.V.: Mini compaction test apparatus for fine grained soils. J. Test Eval. 28, 240–246 (2005), doi:10.1520/GTJ12542Google Scholar
- van Nes, J.: Application of computerized tomography to investigate strain fields caused by cone penetr in sand. Dissertation, Delft University (2004)Google Scholar