The Greenhouse Gas Balance of Italy: A Synthesis
In this chapter a comprehensive assessment of the greenhouse gases budget of the Italian terrestrial ecosystems is provided, with particular attention to forest, cropland and grassland ecosystems and some case studies focusing on Italian shrublands and lands naturally or artificially converted to forests. Different methods have been applied and compared, such as regional measurements, use of flux networks and data-driven models within specific sectoral approaches in order to characterize the greenhouse gases budget of terrestrial ecosystems. The results presented respond also to the growing interest of the recent years in the role of the carbon cycle of terrestrial ecosystems and its relevance for national policies on mitigation and adaptation to climate changes.
KeywordsSoil Organic Carbon Gross Primary Production Soil Organic Carbon Stock Volatile Organic Compound Emission Isoprene Emission
- Chiti T, Papale D, Smith P, Dalmonech D, Matteucci G, Yeluripati J, Rodeghiero M, Valentini R (2010) Predicting changes in soil organic carbon in mediterranean and alpine forests during the Kyoto Protocol commitment periods using the century model. Soil Use Manag 26:475–484. doi: 10.1111/j.1475-2743.2010.00300.x, ISSN: 0266-0032
- CLC (2006) Corine Land Cover 2006 technical guidelines: European environment agency, EEA technical report No 17/2007, p 66Google Scholar
- FAOSTAT (2014) Consumption of fertilizer N in Italy. http://faostat3.fao.org/home/index.html
- INFC (2005) Inventario nazionale delle foreste e dei serbatoi forestali di carbonio: estensione e composizione dei boschi (http://www.sian.it/inventarioforestale/jsp/dati_introa.jsp)
- Luyssaert S, Abril G, Andres R, Bastviken D, Bellassen V, Bergamaschi P, Bousquet P, Chevallier F, Ciais P, Corazza M, Dechow R, Erb K-H, Etiope G, Fortems-Cheiney A, Grassi G, Hartmann J, Jung M, Lathiere J, Lohila A, Mayorga E, Moosdorf N, Njakou DS, Otto J, Papale D, Peters W, Peylin P, Raymond P, Odenbeck CR, Saarnio S, Schulze E-D, Szopa S, Thompson R, Verkerk PJ, Vuichard N, Wang R, Wattenbach M, Zaehle S (2012) The European land and inland water CO2, CO, CH4 and N2O balance between 2001 and 2005. Biogeosciences 9(8):3357–3380. doi: 10.5194/bg-9-3357-2012, ISSN: 1726-4170