The EU’s Role in International Climate Change Policy-Making: A Global Leader in Decline?
This chapter assesses the European Union’s (EU) role in international climate change policy-making by comparing the EU’s degree of goal attainment at the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) Conference of the Parties (COP) negotiations in Copenhagen in 2009 and Cancún in 2010. By making use of three analytical factors (coherence, the opportunity structure and politicisation) we assess the outcomes of both negotiations for the EU. The Durban negotiations of 2011 are touched upon in the conclusions.
KeywordsEuropean Union Kyoto Protocol European Union Member State Opportunity Structure Climate Finance
- Bang, G., & Schreurs, M. A. (2011). A green new deal: Framing US climate leadership. In R. K. W. Wurzel & J. Connelly (Eds.), The European Union as a leader in international climate change politics (pp. 235–251). Abingdon: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Barroso, J. M. D. (2009). Statement of President Barroso on the Copenhagen climate accord. Speech/09/588, Copenhagen, 19 December 2009. http://europa.eu/rapid/pressReleasesAction.do?reference=SPEECH/09/588&format=HTML&aged=0&language=EN&guiLanguage=en.
- Barroso, J. M. D. (2010). Statements by the President of the European Commission. José Manuel Barroso, and Connie Hedegaard, European Commissioner for Climate Action on the Cancùn Agreement on climate change. MEMO/10/673, Cancún, 11 December 2010. http://europa.eu/rapid/pressReleasesAction.do?reference=MEMO/10/673&format=HTML&aged=0&language=EN&guiLanguage=fr
- BBC News. (2009). Apec leaders drop climate target, 15 November 2009. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8360982.stm
- Bretherton, C., & Vogler, J. (2006). The European Union as a global actor (2nd ed.). London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Council. (2007). European Council conclusions, 7224/07, 9 March 2007.Google Scholar
- Council. (2009a). Environment Council of ministers conclusions, 14790/09, 21 October 2009.Google Scholar
- Council. (2009b). European Council conclusions, 7880/1/09, 29 April 2009.Google Scholar
- Council. (2010). Environment Council conclusions (pp. 1–13), 14957/10, 14 October 2010.Google Scholar
- Council on Foreign Relations. (2009). Obama’s Speech at the United Nations Secretary General Ban Ki Moon’s climate change summit, September 2009, 22 September 2009. http://www.cfr.org/climate-change/obamas-speech-united-nations-secretary-general-ban-ki-moons-climate-change-summit-september-2009/p20252
- Curtin, J. (2010). The Copenhagen conference: How should the EU respond? Dublin: Institute of International and European Affairs.Google Scholar
- Dasgupta, S. (2009). Copenhagen conference: India, China plan joint exit. The Times of India (New Delhi), 28 November 2009. http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/world/china/Copenhagen-conference-India-China-plan-joint-exit/articleshow/5279771.cms
- Der Spiegel online International. (2010, May 5). The Copenhagen protocol. How China and India sabotaged the UN climate summit. Rapp, T., Schwägerl, C., & Traufetter, G.Google Scholar
- Euractiv. (2010a). EU to leave decisions on CO2 cuts until next year, 14 October 2010. http://www.euractiv.com/climate-environment/eu-leave-decision-co2-cuts-until-next-year-news-498773
- Euractiv. (2010b). EU says it’s on track to deliver climate aid, 17 November 2010. http://www.euractiv.com/climate-environment/eu-says-its-track-deliver-climate-aid-news-499782
- Euractiv. (2011). Battle begins to decipher Durban climate deal, 13 December 2011. http://www.euractiv.com/climate-environment/battle-begins-decipher-durban-climate-deal-news-509680
- Euractiv EUX TV. (2010). http://eux.tv/2010/12/eus-hedegaard-fear-to-fail-led-to-deal-at-cop16-in-cancun-mexico-raw-video/
- Greenpeace. (2009). Evaluation: The Swedish Presidency gets a red card for environmental failure, 22 December 2009.Google Scholar
- Groen, L., & Niemann, A. (2013, forthcoming). The European Union at the Copenhagen climate negotiations: A case of contested EU actorness and effectiveness. International Relations 27(3).Google Scholar
- Guardian Unlimited. (2009, December 11). EU set to double climate aid for developing countries to (EURO)2bn. Carrington, D.Google Scholar
- Guardian Unlimited. (2009, November 17). Q&A: Mounting pressure in the lead-up to the Copenhagen conference. Goldenberg, S.Google Scholar
- Harvey, F., & Vidal, J. (2011). Global climate change treaty in sight after Durban breakthrough. The Guardian. http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2011/dec/11/global-climate-change-treaty-durban
- International Institute for Strategic Studies. (2011). Durban’s surprise climate deal: Progress, but gaps remain. Strategic Comments, 17(10), 1–3.Google Scholar
- International Institute for Sustainable Development (IISD). (2010a). Earth Negotiations Bulletin (ENB), 12(498), 13 December 2010.Google Scholar
- International Institute for Sustainable Development (IISD). (2010b). Earth Negotiations Bulletin (ENB), 12(487), 29 November 2010.Google Scholar
- Jupille, J., & Caporaso, J. A. (1998). States, agency and rules: The European Union in global environmental politics. In C. Rhodes (Ed.), The European Union in the world community (pp. 213–229). Boulder, CO: Lynne Rienner.Google Scholar
- Metz, B. (2011). International climate change agreements. In B. Metz (Ed.), Controlling climate change (pp. 318–350). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- New York Times. (2009, December 6). Forecast: Expect temperatures to rise in Copenhagen.Google Scholar
- New York Times. (2009, November 26). China joins U.S. in pledge of hard targets on emissions. Wong, E., & Bradsher, K.Google Scholar
- Niemann, A., & Bretherton, C. (2013, forthcoming). Introduction: EU external policy at the crossroads. International Relations, 27(3).Google Scholar
- NRC Handelsblad. (2009, December 21). ‘Kopenhagen’ verdeelt wereld. Luttikhuis, P.Google Scholar
- NRC Handelsblad. (2009, December 11). EU: 7,2 miljard voor klimaat; Europa blijf verdeeld over doelen na 2012—Afspraken lopen tot en met 2012. van der Kris, J.Google Scholar
- Oberthür, S. (2009). The role of the EU in global environmental and climate governance. In M. Tellò (Ed.), The European Union and global governance (pp. 192–209). London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Santarius, T., Bartelt, D., Chagutah, T., Ecklundt, B., Fuhr, L., Jiliang, C. (2011). One step forward and two sideward: Regional analysis of climate Policy in 2010 and the Cancun Climate Conference (COP16). Heinrich Böll Foundation. http://www.boell.de/downloads/2011-01-Boell_Foundation_Analysis_COP16.pdf.
- Schall-Emden, J. (2009). Back to the BASIC: Climate change and global governance. http://www.euroalter.com/2009/back-to-the-basic-climate-change-global-governance-and-emerging-powers/.
- The Times. (2008, October 17). EU climate change push in disarray as Italy joins Iron Curtain revolt. Charter, D., & Watson, R.Google Scholar
- UNFCCC (2009). Copenhagen Accord, 18 December 2009. http://unfccc.int/resource/docs/2009/cop15/eng/l07.pdf.
- UNFCCC (2011). Report of the conference of the Parties on its sixteenth session, held in Cancun from 29 November to 10 December 2010, 15 March 2011. http://unfccc.int/resource/docs/2010/cop16/eng/07a01.pdf#page=2.
- UNFCCC (2012a). Negotiations—bodies. http://unfccc.int/bodies/items/6241.php.
- UNFCCC (2012b). Emissions trading—Greenhouse gas emissions—A new commodity. http://unfccc.int/kyoto_protocol/mechanisms/emissions_trading/items/2731.php.
- UNFCCC (2012c). Party groupings. http://unfccc.int/parties_and_observers/parties/negotiating_groups/items/2714.php.
- Interview with Commission Official, Brussels, 14 April 2011Google Scholar
- Interview with Council Secretariat Representative, Brussels, 3 May 2010Google Scholar
- Interview with Dutch Delegate, The Hague, 12 May 2010Google Scholar
- Interview with EP Delegate by Telephone, 12 May 2010Google Scholar
- Interview with UK Delegate by Telephone, 10 May 2010Google Scholar