Information-Theoretic Timed-Release Security: Key-Agreement, Encryption, and Authentication Codes
In this paper, we study timed-release cryptography with information-theoretic security. As fundamental cryptographic primitives with information-theoretic security, we can consider key-agreement, encryption, and authentication codes. Therefore, in this paper, we deal with information-theoretic timed-release security for all those primitives. Specifically, we propose models and formalizations of security for information-theoretic timed-release key-agreement, encryption, and authentication codes, and we present constructions of those ones. In particular, information-theoretic timed-release encryption and authentication codes can be constructed from information-theoretic timed-release key-agreement in a generic and simple way. Also, we derive tight lower bounds of sizes of secret-keys and show an optimal construction for information-theoretic timed-release key-agreement. Furthermore, we investigate a relationship of mechanisms between information-theoretic timed-release key-agreement and information-theoretic key-insulated key-agreement. It turns out that there exists a simple algorithm which converts the former into the latter, and vice versa. In the sense, we conclude that these two mechanisms are essentially close.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Chan, A.C.-F., Blake, I.F.: Scalable, Server-Passive, User-Anonymous Timed-Release Public Key Encryption from Bilinear Pairing. In: 25th International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems, pp. 504–513. IEEE, Los Almitos (2005), The full version is available at, http://eprint.iacr.org/2004/211 Google Scholar
- 10.May, T.C.: Timed-release crypto. manuscript (1993)Google Scholar
- 11.Rivest, R.: Unconditionally Secure Commitment and Oblivious Transfer Schemes Using Private Channels and a Trusted Initializer. manuscript (1999), http://people.csail.mit.edu/rivest/Rivest-commitment.pdf
- 12.Rivest, R., Shamir, A., Wagner, D.A.: Time-lock puzzles and timed-release crypto. MIT LCS Tech. Report. MIT LCS TR-684 (1996)Google Scholar
- 13.Seito, T., Shikata, J.: Information-Theoretically Secure Key-Insulated Key-Agreement. In: 2011 IEEE Information Theory Workshop (ITW), pp. 287–291. IEEE (2011)Google Scholar
- 16.Watanabe, Y., Seito, T., Shikata, J.: Information-Theoretic Timed-Release Security: Key-Agreement, Encryption, and Authentication Codes. the full version of this paper. To appear at Cryptology ePrint Archive, IACR (2012)Google Scholar