Dielectric Properties of Wood for Improved Internal Imaging
This paper describes the measurement of the dielectric properties of the typical log features of Heartwood, Sapwood and internal Branches. Measurements were made using the waveguide cell technique covering the frequency range of 2.3 to 6.5GHz. This has shown that for the desired contrast between heartwood and Sapwood to be achieved the imaging system must operate above 4GHz. Additional work was undertaken to establish a method to correct these measurements for variations in basic density and Earlywood\Latewood banding, giving rise to a potential moisture content estimation error of 0.63%. This will lead to improved spatial location of features of interest.
KeywordsDielectric Property Synthetic Aperture Radar Ground Penetrate Radar Basic Density Microwave Energy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.King, R.J.: Microwave electromagnetic nondestructive testing of wood. In: Proceedings, Fourth Nondestructive Testing of Wood Symposium, Vancouver, August 28-30, pp. 121–134 (1978)Google Scholar
- 2.King, R.J., et al.: A Microwave Method for Measuring Moisture Content, Density, and Grain Angle of Wood. USDA Research Note FPL-0250 (March 1985)Google Scholar
- 3.Skaar, C. (ed.): Water in Wood. Syracuse Wood Science Series, vol. 4, pp. 171–204. Syracuse University Press (1972)Google Scholar
- 4.Holmes, W., Cown, D.: Microwave Density Measurement of Standing Trees. In: Proc. 9th Conf. on Electromagnetic Wave Interaction with Water and Moist Substances, ISEMA, pp. 39–41 (June 2011)Google Scholar
- 5.Parker, R., Roper, J., Watson, M.: Radar scanning on green pruned logs. In: Proc. SCANTECH 2006, pp. 51–58. FIEA, Australia (2006)Google Scholar
- 6.James, W.L.: A microwave method for measuring moisture content, density, and grain angle of wood. USDA Research Note FPL - 0250 (March 1985)Google Scholar
- 7.Trabelsi, S., Nelson, S.O.: Dielectric methods for multiparameter microwave sensor. In: Proc. 5th ISEMA Conf. 2003, pp. 56–62 (2003)Google Scholar
- 8.Torgovnikov: Dielectric Properties of wood and wood based materials. Springer (February 1993) ISBN-10: 0387553940Google Scholar
- 9.Holmes, W., Cown, D.: Microwave Density Measurement of Standing Trees. In: Proc. 9th Conf. on Electromagnetic Wave Interaction with Water and Moist Substances, ISEMA, pp. 39–41 (June 2011)Google Scholar
- 10.Nicolson, A.M., Ross, G.F.: Measurement of the intrinsic properties of materials by time domain techniques. IEEE Trans. I&M IM-17, 395–402 (1968)Google Scholar