Formulation, Characterization and LPG-Sensing Properties of CuO-Doped ZnO Thick Film Resistor
Formulation, characterization and sensing properties of pure and CuOdoped ZnO thick films were studied by preparing thick films using the screen printing technique on glass substrate. The pure AR grade powder of the Copper chloride was added at the various concentrations (1, 3, 5, 7and 9 wt. %) into the pure AR grade powder of the Zinc oxide. The powders of different compositions were sintered at 1000°C for 12 h. The Copper chloride (CuCl2) transforms into Copper oxide upon heating. The structural properties of the pure and CuO-ZnO composite materials was analyzed by the X-ray diffractogram and it shows the polycrystalline nature. The films were fired at temperature 550°C for 30 min. The surface morphology of the films was analyzed using SEM analyzer. The final composition of each film was determined by EDAX analysis. The gas response, selectivity, response and recovery time of the sensor were measured and presented. The 5 wt. % CuO- doped ZnO film showed highest response and selectivity to LPG than other gases.
KeywordsThick Film Thick Film Resistor Large Effective Surface Area Thick Film Sensor Butyl Carbitol Acetate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Chiorino, F.A., Tsubota, S., Haruta, M.: An IR study of CO-sensing mechanism on Au/ZnO, Sens. Actuators B: Chem. 24-25, 540–543 (1995)Google Scholar
- 10.Lin, H.M., Tzeng, S., Hsiau, P., Tsai, W.: Electrode effects on gas sensing properties of nanocrystalline zinc oxide. Nanostructure. Mater. 10, 465–477 (1998)Google Scholar
- 11.Rao, G., Rao, D.: Gas sensitivity of ZnO based thick film sensor to NH3 at room temperature. Sens. Actuators B 23, 181–186 (1999)Google Scholar
- 22.Patil, D.R., Patil, L.A., Jain, G.H., Wagh, M.S., Patil, S.A.: Surface activated ZnO thick film resistors for LPG gas sensing. Sensors & Transducers 74, 874–663 (2006)Google Scholar
- 24.Gaikwad, V.B., Deore, M.K., Khanna, P.K., Kajale, D.D., Shinde, S.D., Chavan, D.N., Jain, G.H.: Studies on Gas Sensing Performance of Pure and Nano- Ag Doped ZnO Thick Film Resistors. In: Mukhopadhyay, S.C., Gupta, G.S., Huang, R.Y.-M. (eds.) Recent Advances in Sensing Technology. LNEE, vol. 49, pp. 293–307. Springer, Heidelberg (2009)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 25.Deore, M.K., Gaikwad, V.B., Pawar, N.K., Kajale, D.D., Shinde, S.D., Jain, G.H.: Preparation and study the Electrical, Structural and Gas Sensing Properties of ZnO Thick Film Resistor. Sensor and Transducers Journal 119(8), 160–173 (2010)Google Scholar
- 26.Deore, M.K., Gaikwad, V.B., Pawar, N.K., Shinde, S.D., Jain, G.H.: Effect of Ni dopping on gas Gas Sensing Properties of ZnO Thick Film Resistor. Sensor and Transducers Journal 122(11), 143–157 (2010)Google Scholar
- 27.Cullity, B. D.: Elements of X-ray diffraction, 2 edn. Addison Wesley (1978) Google Scholar
- 29.Kupriyanov, L.Y.: Semiconductor Sens. in Physico-Chemical Studies. Elsevier, Amsterdam (1996)Google Scholar
- 31.Chiang, Y.M., Birnie, D., Kingery, W.D.: Physical Ceramics: Principle for Ceramics Science and Engineering. MIT Series. John Wiley and Sons. Inc. (1997)Google Scholar