Future Trends in Similarity Searching
Similarity searching has been a research issue for many years, and searching has probably become the most important web application today. As the complexity of data objects grows, it is more and more difficult to reason about digital objects otherwise than through the similarity. In this article, we first discuss concepts of similarity and searching in light of future perspectives before a concise history of similarity searching technology is presented. We use the historical knowledge to extend the trends to future. We analyze the bottlenecks of application development and discuss perspectives of search computing for future applications. We also present a model of search technology and its position in computer clouds for application development. Finally, execution platforms for multi-modal findability and security issues for outsourced similarity searching environments are suggested as important research challenges.
KeywordsCloud Computing Cloud Service Similarity Search Future Trend Cloud System
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Vosniadou, S., Ortony, A.: Similarity and Analogical Reasoning. Cambridge University Press (2003)Google Scholar
- 5.Morville, P.: Ambient findability - what we find changes who we become. O’Reilly (2005)Google Scholar
- 6.Morville, P., Callender, J.: Search Patterns - Design for Discovery. O’Reilly (2010)Google Scholar
- 8.Baeza-Yates, R., Ribeiro-Neto, B.: Modern Information Retrieval - the concepts and technology behind search, 2nd edn. ACM Press Books (2011)Google Scholar
- 9.O’Searcoid, M.: Metric Spaces. Springer (2006)Google Scholar
- 12.Zezula, P., Amato, G., Dohnal, V., Batko, M.: Similarity Search: The Metric Space Approach. Advances in Database Systems, vol. 32. Springer (2006)Google Scholar
- 13.Samet, H.: Foundations of Multidimensional And Metric Data Structures. Series in Data Management Systems. Morgan Kaufmann (2006)Google Scholar
- 15.Sosinsky, B.: Cloud Computing Bible. Wiley (2011)Google Scholar
- 18.Novak, D., Batko, M., Zezula, P.: Generic similarity search engine demonstrated by an image retrieval application. In: Proceedings of the 32nd Annual International ACM SIGIR Conference on Research and Development in Information Retrieval, Boston, MA, USA, July 19-23, p. 840 (2009)Google Scholar