Hardness Results for the Probabilistic Traveling Salesman Problem with Deadlines
The Probabilistic Traveling Salesman Problem with Deadlines (PTSPD) is a Stochastic Vehicle Routing Problem considering time dependencies. Even the evaluation of the objective function is considered to be a computationally demanding task. So far there is no evaluation method known that guarantees a polynomial runtime, but on the other hand there are also no hardness results regarding the PTSPD objective function. In our work we show that the evaluation of the objective function of the PTSPD, even for Euclidean instances, is #P-hard. In fact, we even show that computing the probabilities, with which deadlines are violated is #P-hard. Based on this result we additionally show that the decision variant of the Euclidean PTSPD, the optimization variant of the Euclidean PTSPD and delta evaluation in reasonable local search neighborhoods is #P-hard.
Keywordsstochastic combinatorial optimization stochastic vehicle routing computational complexity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Birge, J.R., Louveaux, F.: Introduction to stochastic programming. Springer (1997)Google Scholar
- 9.Desrochers, M., Lenstra, J.K., Savelsbergh, M.W.P., Soumis, F.: Vehicle routing with time windows: optimization and approximation. In: Golden, B.L., Assad, A.A. (eds.) Vehicle Routing: Methods and Studies, pp. 65–84. Elsevier Science Publishers (1988)Google Scholar
- 13.Gendreau, M., Laporte, G., Seguin, R.: A tabu search heuristic for the vehicle routing problem with stochastic demands and customers. Operations Research, 469–477 (1996)Google Scholar
- 15.Jaillet, P.: Probabilistic traveling salesman problems. PhD thesis, M. I. T., Dept. of Civil Engineering (1985)Google Scholar
- 16.Johnson, D.S., McGeoch, L.A.: The traveling salesman problem: A case study in local optimization. Local Search in Combinatorial Optimization, 215–310 (1997)Google Scholar
- 18.Laporte, G., Louveaux, F.V., Van Hamme, L.: An integer L-shaped algorithm for the capacitated vehicle routing problem with stochastic demands. Operations Research, 415–423 (2002)Google Scholar
- 23.Weyland, D., Bianchi, L., Gambardella, L.M.: New Approximation-Based Local Search Algorithms for the Probabilistic Traveling Salesman Problem. In: Moreno-Díaz, R., Pichler, F., Quesada-Arencibia, A. (eds.) EUROCAST 2009. LNCS, vol. 5717, pp. 681–688. Springer, Heidelberg (2009)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 24.Weyland, D., Montemanni, R., Gambardella, L.M.: Heuristics for the probabilistic traveling salesman problem with deadlines using monte carlo sampling (2011) (submitted for publication)Google Scholar