Towards Robust Object Categorization for Mobile Robots with Combination of Classifiers
An efficient object perception is a crucial component of a mobile service robot. In this work we present a solution for visual categorization of objects. We developed a prototypic categorization system which classifies unknown objects based on their visual properties to a corresponding category of predefined domestic object categories. The system uses the Bag of Features approach which does not rely on global geometric object information. A major contribution of our work is the enhancement of the categorization accuracy and robustness through a selected combination of a set of supervised machine learners which are trained with visual information from object instances. Experimental results are provided which benchmark the behavior and verify the performance regarding the accuracy and robustness of the proposed system. The system is integrated on a mobile service robot to enhance its perceptual capabilities, hence computational cost and robot dependent properties are considered as essential design criteria.
Keywordsobject categorization Bag of Features feature extraction clustering machine learning classifier combination
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Dance, C., Willamowski, J., Fan, L., Bray, C., Csurka, G.: Visual categorization with bags of keypoints (2004)Google Scholar
- 2.Duin, R.P.W.: The combining classifier: To train or not to train? In: International Conference on Pattern Recognition, vol. 2 (2002)Google Scholar
- 5.Jiang, Y.G., Ngo, C.W., Yang, J.: Towards optimal bag-of-features for object categorization and semantic video retrieval (2007)Google Scholar
- 6.Jurie, F., Triggs, B.: Creating efficient codebooks for visual recognition. In: ICCV 2005: Tenth IEEE Intl. Conf. on Computer Vision, vol. 1, pp. 604–610 (2005)Google Scholar
- 7.Moosmann, F., Triggs, B., Jurie, F.: Fast discriminative visual codebooks using randomized clustering forests. In: Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems 19, pp. 985–992 (2006)Google Scholar
- 9.Wisspeintner, T., van der Zant, T., Iocchi, L., Schiffer, S.: Robocup@home 2008: Analysis of results. Tech. rep. (2008)Google Scholar