Application of Integer Programming in the Surgical Scheduling
This paper addresses the problem of operating room (OR) scheduling by taking into account the factors such as surgeons and his(her) surgical patients with type and time, the admissibility of different surgical types to a certain operating room and the available time of operating rooms. In order to improve operating rooms efficiency and shorten the waiting time of surgical patients, we propose two 0–1 integer programming models, as well as the simulated data, and get the relatively ideal scheduling scheme.
KeywordsOperating room scheduling Integer programming 0–1 planning Assignment model
- 1.Cao X, Dong J et al (2003) Discussion of statistical indicators and methods of operating room utilization efficiency. China Health Stat 20(2):82–83Google Scholar
- 2.Zhao L, Jin C et al (2008) Management practices to maximize efficiency and effectiveness of operating room. Chin Hosp Manag 28(10):43–45Google Scholar
- 3.Shu W, Luo L (2008) Study of programming-based surgical scheduling. Technol Mark 2:42–44Google Scholar
- 6.Blake JT, Dexter F, Donald J (2002) Operating room managers’ use of integer programming for assigning block time to surgical groups: a case study. Anesth Analg 94(1):143–148Google Scholar
- 9.Zhou X (2004) Project management tools of the series ten – program evaluation review technique: estimating project tasks duration. Proj Manag Tech 4:64–65Google Scholar