A Tension Distribution Method with Improved Computational Efficiency
This paper introduces a real-time capable tension distribution algorithm for n degree-of-freedom cable-driven parallel robots (CDPR) actuated by \(n+2\) cables. It is based on geometric considerations applied to the two-dimensional convex polytope of feasible cable tension distribution. This polytope is defined as the intersection between the set of inequality constraints on the cable tension values and the affine space of tension solutions to the mobile platform static or dynamic equilibrium. The algorithm proposed in this paper is dedicated to \(n\) degree-of-freedom CDPR actuated by \(n+2\) cables. Indeed, it takes advantage of the two-dimensional nature of the corresponding feasible tension distribution convex polytope to improve the computational efficiency of a tension distribution strategy proposed elsewhere. The fast computation of the polytope vertices and of its barycenter made us successfully validate the real-time compatibility of the presented algorithm.
KeywordsConvex Polygon Mobile Platform Parallel Robot Cable Tension Linear Programming Method
The financial support of the ANR (grant 2009 SEGI 018 01), of the Région Languedoc-Roussillon (grants 115217 and 120218) and the financial contribution of Tecnalia are greatly acknowledged.
- 3.Bruckmann, T., Andreas, P., Hiller, M., Franitza, D.: A modular controller for redundantly actuated tendon-based stewart platforms. EuCoMeS, Obergurgl, Austria, In (2006)Google Scholar
- 7.Mikelsons, L., Bruckmann, T., Hiller, M., Schramm, D.: A real-time capable force calculation algorithm for redundant tendon-based parallel manipulators. IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, May, In (2008)Google Scholar
- 8.Oh, S.-R., Agrawal, S.K.: Controllers with positive cable tensions. IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, Cable-Suspended Planar Parallel Robots with Redundant Cables, In (2003)Google Scholar
- 10.Vafaei, A., Aref, M.M., Taghirad, H.D.: Integrated controller for an over constrained cable driven parallel manipulator: KNTU CDRPM. In IEEE 2010 International Conference on Robotics and Automation, pp. 650–655. Anchorage, Alaska, USA (2010).Google Scholar
- 11.Yu, K., Lee, L., Krovi, V.N.: Simultaneous trajectory tracking and stiffness control of cable actuated parallel manipulator. International Design Engineering Technical Conference and Computers and Information in Engineering Conference, In (2009)Google Scholar
- 12.Ziegler, G.: Letures on Polytopes. Springer, Heidelberg (1994)Google Scholar