On the Performance of TDD and LDD Based Clone Attack Detection in Mobile Ad Hoc Networks
Clone attack detection is envisioned as a promising problem in distributed networking environments, e.g., wireless sensor networks, mobile ad hoc networks [5,2,9,3,7,1,8,4] . In this paper, we analyze the performance of Time domain based detection (TDD) and Space domain based detection (SDD)  of clone attacks in mobile ad hoc networks in terms of detection ratio and time. The study shows that TDD and SDD utilizes network resource efficiently and achieves great scalability and robust detection performance compared with existing schemes. In particular, the storage overhead of sensors is independent of the network size, and is evenly distributed across the network. Moreover, it only takes limited communication overhead to verify the validity of any node. In addition to the analysis, we also propose simulation study for clone attack detection. According to our proved theorems, TDD and SDD enable users to detect clones in an efficient and effective manner in the network.
KeywordsSensor Network Wireless Sensor Network Communication Overhead Message Overhead Storage Overhead
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Choi, H., Zhu, S., Laporta, T.: Set: Detecting node clones in sensor networks. In: SecureComm 2007, pp. 341–350 (2007)Google Scholar
- 3.Conti, M., Di Pietro, R., Mancini, L.V., Mei, A.: A randomized, efficient, and distributed protocol for the detection of node replication attacks in wireless sensor networks. In: MobiHoc 2007, pp. 80–89 (2007)Google Scholar
- 4.Ho, J.-W., Wright, M., Das, S.: Fast detection of replica node attacks in mobile sensor networks using sequential analysis. In: IEEE INFOCOM, pp. 1773–1781 (2009)Google Scholar
- 5.Parno, B., Perrig, A., Gligor, V.: Distributed detection of node replication attacks in sensor networks. In: IEEE SP 2005, pp. 49–63 (2005)Google Scholar
- 6.Xing, K., Cheng, X.: From time domain to space domain: Detecting replica attacks in mobile ad hoc networks. In: IEEE INFOCOM 2010, pp. 1595–1603 (2010)Google Scholar
- 7.Xing, K., Liu, F., Cheng, X., Du., D.H.C.: Real-time detection of clone attacks in wireless sensor networks. In: IEEE ICDCS 2008, pp. 3–10 (2008)Google Scholar
- 8.Yu, C.-M., Lu, C.-S., Kuo, S.-Y.: Mobile sensor network resilient against node replication attacks. In: IEEE SECON 2008, vol. 16, pp. 597–599 (2008)Google Scholar
- 9.Zhu, B., Addada, V.G.K., Setia, S., Jajodia, S., Roy, S.: Efficient distributed detection of node replication attacks in sensor networks. In: ACSAC, pp. 257–267 (2007)Google Scholar