Heterogeneous Multicast Networks with Wireless Helping Networks
Previously, it has been shown that wired infrastructures such as optical networks can improve the capacity of ad hoc wireless networks significantly. However, sometimes these wired infrastructures are too expensive or even infeasible. In this paper, we use wireless helping networks to enhance the throughput performance of ad hoc networks. We focus on heterogeneous multicast networks with wireless helping networks. The heterogeneity refers to the inhomogeneity of the distribution of the nodes. The helping networks are neither the sources nor the destinations of data flow. They only serve as relays of the data. The wireless helping networks can be regularly placed or randomly uniformly distributed or mobile. We derive achievable throughput for all these three cases. We also make a comparison between them and pure ad hoc networks without helping networks to see the contribution of wireless helping networks.
KeywordsWireless Network Cluster Head Network Area Transmission Scheme Directional Antenna
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Alfano, G., Garetto, M., Leonardi, E.: Capacity scaling of wireless networks with inhomogeneous node density: Lower bounds. In: Proc. IEEE INFOCOM, pp. 1890–1898 (2009)Google Scholar
- 6.Li, P., Fang, Y.: On the Throughput Capacity of Hetergeneous Wireless Networks. IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing (2011)Google Scholar
- 8.Liu, B., Liu, Z., Towsley, D.: On the capacity of hybrid wireless networks. In: Proceeding of the IEEE International Conference on Computer Communications (INFOCOM 2003), San Francisco, California, USA (March 2003)Google Scholar
- 9.Zemlianov, A., Veciana, G.: Capacity of ad hoc wireless networks with infrastructure support. IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications 23(3) (March 2005)Google Scholar
- 11.Kozat, U., Tassiulas, L.: Throughput Capacity of Random Ad Hoc Networks with Infrastructure Support. In: Proc. ACM MobiCom (June 2003)Google Scholar
- 12.Li, P., Zhang, C., Fang, Y.: Capacity and Delay of Hybrid Wireless Broadband Access Networks. IEEE J. Selected Areas in Comm., Special Issue on Broadband Access Networks 27(2), 117–125 (2009)Google Scholar
- 14.Mao, X., Li, X.-Y., Tang, S.-J.: Multicast Capacity for Hybrid Wireless Networks. In: ACM MobiHoc (2008)Google Scholar
- 15.Garetto, M., Giaccone, P., Leonardi, E.: Capacity Scaling in Ad Hoc Networks with Heterogeneous Mobile Nodes: the Sub-critical Regime. ACM/IEEE Transactions on Networking 17(6), 1063–6692 (2009) ISSN: 1063-6692Google Scholar
- 22.Cao, X., Zhang, J., Zhang, G., Fu, L., Wang, X.: Heterogeneous Multicast Networks with Wireless Helping Networks. Techinical ReportGoogle Scholar