Atmosphere and Ocean Data Processing in a Decision-Making Support System for Arctic Exploration
Presently, attention must be paid to the conditions in the Arctic region. The area has experienced significant environmental changes in ice cover, the atmosphere, and the ocean in recent years. In addition, there has been active development of the Arctic region. Data from the Arctic region are used for ensuring safe navigation of passenger and freight traffic between Europe, Asia, and America, as well as by fishing companies and companies that research and extract mineral resources. Current data acquisition, processing, and analysis systems for the Arctic region are highly specialized systems that do not perform complex analyse of all sets of available data. Consequently, these systems do not provide products of analysis with the desired precision and efficiency in the defined conditions. The problem can be solved by developing a decision-making support system that will provide acquisition, processing, and analysis of all sets of available data and also monitor and investigate the environment in the Arctic region. In the chapter, the results of analyse of atmosphere and ocean data are presented and a solution for integrated data processing and analysis based on intelligent geoinformation system (IGIS) technologies is proposed. The main components of IGIS that are necessary to provide decision-making support for Arctic exploration are considered. A developed prototype of decision-making support system for Arctic exploration is described and results of data analyses are given.
KeywordsAtmosphere data processing Ocean data processing Decision support system Intelligent GIS
The project for developing a decision-making support system is supported by the Office of Naval Research (ONR) global, Project # 62909-12-1-7013, “Decision Making Support System for Arctic Region”.
- Ashik I (2012) Recent Russian marine research activities in the arctic ocean. Legal aspects of marine science in the arctic ocean. In: Wasum-Rainer S, Winkelmann I, Tiroch K (eds) vol 235. p 374Google Scholar
- Alekseev GA, Pnyushkov AV, Ivanov HE, Ashik IM, Sokolov VT (2009) Complex assessment of climatic changes in the sea Arctic with use of data of MPG 2007/2008. Problems of the Arctic and Antarctic, vol 1(81). pp 7–14Google Scholar
- Korablev AA, Pnyushkov AV, Smirnov AV (2007) Creation of an oceanographic database for climate monitoring in the North European basin of the Arctic. In: Trudy AANII. Issue 447. pp 85–108Google Scholar
- NCEP/NCAR Reanalysis at PSD (2012). URL: http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/data/reanalysis/reanalysis.shtml
- Popovich VV, Voronin MN (2005) Data harmonization, Integration and fusion: three sources and three major components of Geoinformation Technologies. In: Proceedings of IF&GIS, September 25–27, St. Petersburg, RussiaGoogle Scholar
- Sorokin RP, Shaida SS, Smirnov AV (2003) Intelligent geoinformation systems for modeling and simulation. In: Proceedings of the international workshop on harbour, Maritime and multimodal logistics modelling and simulation. riga TUGoogle Scholar
- Zhukova N, Ignatov D, Smirnova O (2013) Dynamic information model for oceanographic data representation. In: 20th international conference on conceptual structures, Mumbai, IndiaGoogle Scholar