Numerical Investigation of the Flow around a Three-Element High-Lift Airfoil Using Two Zonal Hybrid RANS/LES Methods: ZDES and NLDE
This study deals with the numerical investigation of the flow around a high-lift airfoil with deployed slat and flap, with focus being made on the slat cove region. Two different techniques are used and compared to simulate the unsteady flow around such an airfoil, both being based on a hybrid RANS/LES formulation in order to minimize as much as possible the computational resources. In this paper, a comparison of the results from these two approaches (namely ZDES and NLDE) is presented, both from the statistical and unsteady points of view. The two approaches provide results which are in excellent respective agreement.
KeywordsAIAA Paper Streamwise Vortex Turbulent Kinetic Energy Distribution Spanwise Extent Zonal Detach Eddy Simulation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Deck, S.: Recent improvements of the Zonal Detached Eddy Simulation (ZDES) formulation. Theor. Comput. Fluid Dyn. (2011), doi:10.1007/s00162-011-0240-zGoogle Scholar
- 5.Jenkins, L.N., Khorrami, M.R., Choudhari, M.: Characterization of unsteady flow structures near leading-edge slat: Part I. PIV Measurements In: AIAA/CEAS Aeroacoustics Conference. AIAA paper 2004-2801 (2004)Google Scholar
- 8.Lockard, D.P., Choudhari, M.: Noise radiation from a leading-edge slat. In: 15th AIAA/CEAS Aeroacoustics Conference, AIAA paper 2009-3101, Miami, FL, USA, May 11-13 (2009)Google Scholar
- 10.Sagaut, P.: Large-Eddy Simulation for incompressible flows, 3rd edn. Scientific Computation. Springer, Berlin (2005)Google Scholar
- 11.Sagaut, P., Deck, S., Terracol, M.: Multiscale and Multiresolution Approaches in Turbulence. Imperial College Press (2006)Google Scholar
- 12.Spalart, P.R., Allmaras, S.R.: A one equation turbulence model for aerodynamic flows. AIAA Paper 92-0439 (1992)Google Scholar
- 16.Terracol, M., Manoha, E., Lemoine, B.: Investigation of the unsteady flow and noise sources generation in a slat cove: hybrid zonal rans/les simulation and dedicated experiment. In: 20th AIAA Computational Fluid Dynamics Conference, AIAA paper 2011-3203, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA, pp. 2011–3203 (2011)Google Scholar
- 17.Wild, J., Pott Pollenske, M., Nagel, B.: An integrated design approach for low noise exposing high-lift devices. In: 3rd AIAA Flow Control Conference, AIAA Paper 2006-2843 (2006)Google Scholar