Comparisons of Three Improved DES Methods on Unsteady Flows Past Tandem Cylinders
Three advanced DES-type models coupled with adaptive dissipation scheme, DDES-2003/2006 and IDDES, are applied to predict the unsteady flow past tandem cylinders. The main differences among them are the shield functions and length scales, which leads to significant differences in mean turbulence kinetic energy, root mean square of pressure, instantaneous vorticity, and so on. The computational results are compared with almost all available measurements. These three models show good capability for the massive separation flows. IDDES performs relatively better than other two SST-DDES models. Furthermore, IDDES matches well with the measurements with trips on the rear cylinder surface.
KeywordsEddy Viscosity Landing Gear Model Eddy Viscosity Shear Stress Transport Shear Stress Transport Model
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Jenkins, L.N., et al.: Characterization of unsteady flow structures around tandem cylinders for component interaction studies in airframe noise. AIAA paper 2005-2812 (2005)Google Scholar
- 2.Jenkins, L.N., et al.: Measurements of unsteady wake interference between tandem cylinders. AIAA paper 2006-3202 (2006)Google Scholar
- 3.Neuhart, D.H., et al.: Measurements of the flowfield interaction between tandem cylinders. AIAA paper 2009-3275 (2009)Google Scholar
- 4.(2009), http://cfd.mace.manchester.ac.uk/ATAAC/WebHome (accessed December 20, 2009)
- 5.Lockard, D.P.: Summary of the tandem cylinder solutions from the benchmark problems for airframe noise computations-I workshop. AIAA paper 2011-353 (2011)Google Scholar
- 6.Spalart, P.R., Jou, W.H., Strelets, M., Allmaras, S.R.: Comments on the feasibility of LES for wings, and on a hybrid RANS/LES approach. In: First AFOSR International Conference on DNS/LES, Ruston, LA. Advanced in DNS/LES. Greyden Press, Columbus (1997)Google Scholar
- 7.Spalart, P.R., Allmaras, S.R.: A one-equation turbulence model for aerodynamic flows. AIAA paper 92-0439 (1992)Google Scholar
- 8.Menter, F., Kuntz, M.: A zonal SST-DES formulation. In: DES-Workshop. Technical University, St. Petersburg (2003)Google Scholar
- 12.Strelets, M.: Detached eddy simulation of massively separated flows: AIAA paper 2001-0879 (2001)Google Scholar
- 13.Xiao, Z.X., Liu, J., Huang, J.B., Fu, S.: Numerical dissipation effect on the massive separation around tandem cylinders. AIAA Journal (in press)Google Scholar