Comparison of PANS and LES Simulations of the Flow around a Cuboid Influenced by Crosswind
The paper presents a PANS simulation of the flow around a cuboid influenced by crosswind. The results of the PANS prediction are validated against experimental data and results of a LES simulation made using the same numerical conditions as PANS. The PANS shows good agreement with the experimental data. The prediction of PANS was found to be better than that of the reference LES in flow regions where simulations suffered from poor near-wall resolution.
KeywordsRoot Mean Square Turbulence Kinetic Energy Bluff Body Detach Eddy Simulated RANS Model
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Hemida, H., Krajnović, S.: Exploring Flow Structures Around a Simplified ICE2 Train Subjected to a 30 Degree Side Wind Using LES. Engineering Applications of Computational Fluid Mechanics 3(1), 28–41 (2009)Google Scholar
- 4.Spalart, P.R., Jou, W.H., Strelets, M., Allmaras, S.R.: Detached-eddy simulation of an airfoil at high angle of attack. In: Advances in DNS/LES, Proceedings of the First AFOSR International Conference on DNS/LES (1997)Google Scholar
- 6.Girimaji, S., Srinivasan, R., Jeong, E.: PANS Turbulence Models For Seamless Transition Between RANS and LES: Fixed Point Analyses and Preliminary Results. ASME paper FEDSM2003-4336 (2003)Google Scholar
- 8.Suzuki, M., Nakade, K., Suzuki, M.: A wind tunnel test for railway vehicle under cross wind using a moving model rig. In: The 18th Transportation and Logistics Conference, pp. 231–232 (2009) (in Japanese)Google Scholar
- 9.Krajnović, S., Lárusson, R., Helgason, E., Basara, B.: PANS of Rudimentary Landing Gear. AIAA Paper AIAA 2011-3109 (2011)Google Scholar
- 10.Basara, B., Krajnovic, S., Girimaji, S., Pavlović, Z.: Near-Wall Formulation of the Partially Averaged Navier Stokes Turbulence Model. AIAA Journal 49(12) (December 2011)Google Scholar