Streaming with Minimum Space: An Algorithm for Covering by Two Congruent Balls
In this paper we design a simple streaming algorithm for maintaining two smallest balls (of equal radius) in d-dimension to cover a set of points in an on-line fashion. Different from most of the traditional streaming models, at any step we use the minimum amount of space by only storing the locations and the (common) radius of the balls. Previously, such a geometric algorithm is only investigated for covering with one ball (one-center) by Zarrabi-Zadeh and Chan. We give an analysis of our algorithm, which is significantly different from the one-center algorithm due to the obvious possibility of grouping points wrongly under this streaming model. We obtain upper bounds of 2 and 5.708 for the case of d = 1 and d > 1 respectively. We also present some lower bounds for the corresponding problems.
KeywordsConvex Hull Approximation Ratio Input Point Minimum Space Optimal Radius
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Agarwal, P., Sharathkumar, R.: Streaming algorithms for extent problems in high dimensions. In: Proc. 21st Annual ACM-SIAM Symposium on Discrete Algorithms, SODA 2010, pp. 1481–1489 (2010)Google Scholar
- 3.Bǎdoiu, M., Clarkson, K.: Smaller core-sets for balls. In: Proc. 14th Annual ACM-SIAM Symposium on Discrete Algorithms, SODA 2003, pp. 801–802 (2003)Google Scholar
- 4.Bǎdoiu, M., Har-Peled, S., Indyk, P.: Approximate clustering via core-sets. In: Proc. 34th Annual ACM Symposium on Theory of Computing, STOC 2002, pp. 250–257 (2002)Google Scholar
- 6.Chan, T.: Dynamic coresets. In: Proc. 24th Annual ACM Symposium on Computational Geometry, SoCG 2008, pp. 1–9 (2008)Google Scholar
- 9.Eppstein, D.: Faster construction of planar two-centers. In: Proc. 8th Annu. ACM-SIAM Sympos. Discrete Algo., pp. 131–138 (1997)Google Scholar
- 10.Guha, S.: Tight results for clusering and summarizing data streams. In: Proc. of 12th International Conference on Database Theory, pp. 268–275. ACM (2009)Google Scholar
- 12.Har-Peled, S., Mazumdar, S.: Coresets for k-means and k-median clustering and their applications. In: Proc. 36th Annual ACM Symposium on Theory of Computing, STOC 2004, pp. 291–300 (2004)Google Scholar
- 16.Zarrabi-Zadeh, H., Chan, T.: A simple streaming algorithm for minimum enclosing balls. In: Proc. 18th Canadian Conference on Computational Geometry, CCCG 2006, pp. 139–142 (2006)Google Scholar