Experience, Lessons and Recommendation of China’s Response to the Wenchuan Earthquake Disaster
The Wenchuan Earthquake occurred at 14:28 on May 12, 2008 in Sichuan Province of China. It shocked the world, caused huge losses of lives and properties of people, and had immense effects on the development of economy and society in Sichuan, Gansu, Shaanxi, Chongqing and Yunnan. In the aftermath of the earthquake, the Chinese people were remarkably united as one, and conducted powerful, orderly and effective disaster relief with great efforts in the face of daunting difficulties. They achieved a considerable success in earthquake rescue and relief, under the firm leadership of the Chinese Government via the direct command of the State Council’s Earthquake Rescue and Relief Headquarters.
KeywordsWenchuan Earthquake Disaster Prevention Emergency Plan Earthquake Disaster Disaster Area
- Beijing Normal University. 2008. The compilation of advisory documents for coping with the wenchuan earthquake disaster on May 12, 2008 (internal document) 56–89, (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- Chen, Y., L. Li, J. Li, et al. 2008. Wenchuan earthquake: way of thinking in changed. Episodes 31(4): 374–377.Google Scholar
- China National Disaster Reduction Commission and Expert Group for Earthquake Rescue and Relief of Ministry of Science and Technology. 2008. Comprehensive analysis and assessment on wenchuan earthquake disaster, 94–102, 166–173, Beijing: Science Press. (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- Hu J.T. 2008. Address on the ceremony honoring organizations and individuals for their contributions to relief work after the May 12 earthquake. http://News.xinhuanet.com/newscenter/2008-10/8/content _10166536.htm. (in Chinese).
- Shi, P.J., L.Y. Liu, J.F. Liu, et al. 2008. China wenchuan earthquake disaster (May 12 2008) and its loss assessment, 25–29. Davos: International Disaster and Risk Conference.Google Scholar
- Shi, P.J., D. Tang, J. Du, et al. 2009. Comprehensive prevention for catastrophe risks; China risk management report (2009). Beijing: International Disaster and Risk Conference. (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- Shi P.J., M Wang, and J.F. Liu, et al. 2011. An integrated large scale disaster risk governance paradigm: experiences and lessons in human responses. 2011 Proceedings of a conference sponsored by Aon benfield Australia limited: Catastrophic Complexity, Kuala Lumpur, Queensland, Australia.Google Scholar
- The Compilation Commission of the Wenchuan Earthquake Disaster Atlas. 2009. The wenchuan earthquake disaster atlas, 208, 238, 240–245, Chengdu Cartographic Publishing House: Chengdu.Google Scholar
- The State Council’s Earthquake Rescue and Relief Headquarters. 2008. The summarization report on rescue and relief work for the wenchuan earthquake in Sichuan (Internal documents). (in Chinese).Google Scholar