A Parameter-Based Service Discovery Protocol for Mobile Ad-Hoc Networks
Application of traditional service discovery solutions to mobile ad-hoc networks is a challenging task due to their intrinsic dynamic nature and the absence of any central information manager. However, service discovery is a critical aspect of service oriented technologies, e.g. remote service execution or, particularly service composition. We propose a solution for service discovery in mobile ad-hoc networks which is based on the dissemination of information about services’ parameters instead of service unique identifiers. Disseminated information is subsequently used during service search in order to reduce the number of propagated messages. In our solution, performed searches are maintained in the network until they are explicitly cancelled by source nodes. We also state that the usage of a shared taxonomy of parameter types reduces the number of propagated messages during dissemination and search. The proposed protocol has been fully implemented and tested using a network simulator.
Keywordsmobile ad-hoc networks manet service discovery parameter-based taxonomy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Giruka, V.C., Singhal, M.: Hello protocols for ad-hoc networks: Overhead and accuracy tradeoffs. In: Sixth IEEE Intl. Symposium on a World of Wireless Mobile and Multimedia Networks, pp. 354–361. IEEE (2005)Google Scholar
- 5.Helal, S., Desai, N., Verma, V., Lee, C.: Konark-a service discovery and delivery protocol for ad-hoc networks. In: Wireless Communications and Networking, vol. 3, pp. 2107–2113. IEEE (2003)Google Scholar
- 6.Islam, N., Shaikh, Z.A.: Towards a robust and scalable semantic service discovery scheme for mobile ad hoc network. Pak. J. Engg. & Appl. Sci. 10, 68–88 (2012)Google Scholar
- 7.Kurkowski, S., Navidi, W., Camp, T.: Constructing MANET simulation scenarios that meet standards. In: IEEE Intl. Conf. on Mobile Adhoc and Sensor Systems, pp. 1–9 (2007)Google Scholar
- 9.Li, J., Blake, C., De Couto, D.S., Lee, H.I., Morris, R.: Capacity of ad hoc wireless networks. In: Proc. of the 7th Intl. Conf. on Mobile Computing and Networking, pp. 61–69. ACM (2001)Google Scholar
- 10.McGuinness, D.L., Van Harmelen, F.: OWL web ontology language overview. W3C Recommendation 10, 2004–03 (2004)Google Scholar
- 11.Paolucci, M., Kawamura, T., Payne, T.R., Sycara, K.: Semantic matching of web services capabilities, pp. 333–347 (2002)Google Scholar
- 12.Paridel, K., Vanrompay, Y., Berbers, Y.: Fadip: Lightweight publish/Subscribe for mobile ad hoc networks. On the Move to Meaningful Internet Systems, 798–810 (2010)Google Scholar
- 13.Pirrò, G., Talia, D., Trunfio, P.: A DHT-based semantic overlay network for service discovery. Future Generation Computer Systems (2011)Google Scholar
- 14.Sailhan, F., Issarny, V.: Scalable service discovery for MANET. In: Proc. of the Third IEEE Intl. Conf. on Pervasive Computing and Communications, pp. 235–244. IEEE Computer Society (2005)Google Scholar
- 16.Williams, B., Camp, T.: Comparison of broadcasting techniques for mobile ad hoc networks. In: Proc. of the 3rd ACM Intl. Symposium on Mobile Ad Hoc Networking and Computing, pp. 194–205 (2002)Google Scholar