A Novel Rule Based Classifier for Mining Temporal Medical Databases Using Fuzzy Rough Set Approach
This paper proposes a new Rule Based Classifier that uses fuzzy rough set and temporal logic in order to mine temporal patterns in clinical databases. The lower approximation hypothesis and fuzzy decision table with the fuzzy features are utilized to obtain fuzzy decision classes for constructing the classifier. By considering a subset of attributes, including the temporal intervals the lower approximations are designed in this work, in which temporal intervals are also considered. Moreover the elementary sets are obtained from lower approximations are categorized into the decision classes. Based on the decision classes a discernibility vector is constructed to define the temporal consistency degree among the objects. Now the Rule Based Classifier is transformed into a temporal rule based fuzzy inference system by incorporating neuro fuzzy rules with Allen’s temporal algebra to induce rules (patterns). Eventually these rules are categorized as rules with range values to perform prediction effectively. The efficiency of the approach is compared with other classifiers in order to assess the accuracy of the fuzzy temporal rule based classifier. Experiments have been carried out on the diabetic dataset and the simulation results obtained prove that the proposed temporal rule-based classifier on clinical diabetic dataset stays as an evidence for predicting the sternness of the disease and precision in decision support system.
KeywordsFuzzy Rough Sets Lower approximations Rule Based Classifier Allen’s Temporal Algebra
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Walczak, B., Massart, D.L.: Rough Sets Theory - Tutorial. Elsevier – Chemometrics and Intelligent Laboratory Systems (December 1998)Google Scholar
- 3.Tsang, E.C.C., Zhao, S.Y., Lee, J.W.T.: Rule Induction based on Fuzzy Rough Sets. In: Proc. 2007 Intl Conference on Machine Learning and Cybernetics, vol. 5, pp. 3028–3033 (August 2007)Google Scholar
- 4.Ganesan, G., Latha, D., Raghavendra Rao, C.: Reduct Generation in Information Systems. Engineering Letters 14(2) (May 2007), EL_14_2_5 Advance Online Publications Google Scholar
- 5.Froelich, W., Deja, A.W.: Mining Temporal Medical Data Using Adaptive Fuzzy Cognitive Maps. Institute of Computer Science of Silesia, Poland (May 2009)Google Scholar
- 6.Bing, X.L., Kwan, W., Foo, S.Y.: Times Series Prediction Based on Fuzzy Principles. Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Florida State University (2009)Google Scholar
- 8.Acampora, G., Loia, V.: On the Temporal Granularity in Fuzzy Cognitive Maps. IEEE Transactions on Fuzzy Systems (June 2011)Google Scholar
- 9.Jang, J.-S.R., Sun, C.-T., Mizutani, E.: Neuro Fuzzy and Soft Computing – A Computational Approach to Learning and Machine Intelligence. Prentice Hall of India Private Limited (September 1997)Google Scholar
- 10.Ross, T.: Fuzzy Logic with Engineering and Applications, 2nd edn. Wiley India (April 2009)Google Scholar
- 11.UCI Machine Repository diabetes dataset, http://archive.ics.ucs.edu/ml/datasets/Diabetes