A Novel Routing Algorithm for On-Chip Communication in NoC on Diametrical 2D Mesh Interconnection Architecture
To meet the design productivity, scalability and signal integrity challenges of next-generation system designs, a structured and scalable interconnection architecture, network on chip (NoC), has been proposed recently to solve the complex on-chip communication problem. In an NoC, the communication among different nodes is achieved by routing packets through a pre-designed network fabric according to some architecture rather than wires. In Diametrical 2D Mesh architecture, advantages of routing include smaller network diameter as well as larger bisection width. Again, fast network access requires a well-constructed optimal routing algorithm. Our proposed routing algorithm ensures that the packet will always reach the destination through the shortest path and it is deadlock free.
KeywordsNoC routing Diametrical 2D mesh routing On-chip communication
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Reshadi, M., Khademzadeh, A., Reza, A., Bahmani, M.: A Novel Mesh Architecture for On-Chip Networks. D & R Industry Articles, http://www.design-reuse.com/articles/23347/on-chip-network.html
- 2.A survey of Architectural Design and Implementation Tradeoffs in Network on Chip System, http://www.danmarconett.com/downloads/NoCSurveyPaper.pdf/
- 3.A comparision of Network-on-Chip and Buses, http://www.arteris.com/nocwhitepaper.pdf/
- 4.Benini, L., De Micheli, G.: Networks on Chips: A new SoC Paradigm. IEEE Computer, 70–78 (2003)Google Scholar
- 5.Michelogiannakis, G.: Approaching Ideal NoC Latency with Pre-Configured Routes, Master’s Thesis, Department of Computer Science, University of CreteGoogle Scholar
- 6.Kaisari, A.E., Rahmati, D., Sarbazi-Azad, H., Hessabi, S.: A Markovian Performance Model for Network-on-Chip. In: Proceedings 16th Euromicro Conference on Parallel, Distributed and Network-Based Procedings, pp. 157–164 (2008)Google Scholar
- 7.Dally, W.J., Towles, B.: Principles and Practices of Interconnection Networks. Morgan Kaufmann, San Francisco (2004)Google Scholar
- 9.Ezhumalai, P., Chilambuchelvan, A., Arun, C.: Novel NoC Topology Construction for High-Performance Communications, http://www.hindawi.com/journals/jcnc/2011/405697/
- 10.Benini, L., De Micheli, G.: Networks on Chips: Technology and Tools. Morgan Kaufmann, San Francisco (2006)Google Scholar
- 11.Palesi, M., Holsmark, R., Kumar, S., Catania, V.: APSRA: A methodology for design of application specific routing algorithms for NoC systems, Technical Report DIIT-TR-01-060406, Dip. di Ingegneria Informatica e delle Telecomunicazioni, Univ. di Catania (2006)Google Scholar
- 12.Kundu, S., Dasari, R.P., Chattopadhyay, S., Manna, K.: Mesh-of-Tree Based Scalable Network-on-Chip Architecture. In: IEEE Region 10 and the Third International Conference on Industrial and Information Systems, ICIIS 2008, pp. 1–6 (2008)Google Scholar
- 13.Kundu, S., Chattopadhyay, S.: Mesh-of-Tree Deterministic Routing for Network-on-Chip Architecture. In: ACM Great Lake Symposium on VLSI (GLSVLSI), pp. 343–346 (2008)Google Scholar