Growing Half-Balls: Minimizing Storage and Communication Costs in CDNs
The Dynamic Content Distribution problem addresses the trade-off between storage and delivery costs in modern virtual Content Delivery Networks (CDNs). That is, a video file can be stored in multiple places so that the request of each user is served from a location that is near by to the user. This minimizes the delivery costs, but is associated with a storage cost. This problem is NP-hard even in grid networks. In this paper, we present a constant factor approximation algorithm for grid networks. We also present an O(logδ)-competitive algorithm, where δ is the normalized diameter of the network, for general networks with general metrics. We show a matching lower bound by using a reduction from online undirected Steiner tree. Our algorithms use a rather intuitive approach that has an elegant representation in geometric terms.
KeywordsCommunication Cost Steiner Tree Competitive Ratio Steiner Tree Problem Horizontal Edge
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Net-HD Consortium, http://www.nethd.org.il
- 2.Cisco visual networking index: Usage study. Cisco Visual Networking Index (October 25, 2010), http://www.cisco.com/en/US/solutions/collateral/ns341/ns525/ns537/ns705/Cisco_VNI_Usage_WP.html
- 3.Hyperconnectivity and the approaching zettabyte era. Cisco Visual Networking Index (June 2, 2010), http://www.cisco.com/en/US/solutions/~collateral/ns341/ns525/ns537/ns705/~ns827/VNI_Hyperconnectivity_WP.html
- 4.Abell, J.C.: Netflix instant account for 20 percent of peek U.S. bandwidth use. Wire Magazine (October 21, 2010)Google Scholar
- 6.Awerbuch, B., Bartal, Y., Fiat, A.: Competitive distributed file allocation. In: 25th ACM STOC, pp. 164–173 (1993)Google Scholar
- 7.Bartal, Y., Fiat, A., Rabani, Y.: Competitive algorithms for distributed data management. In: 24th ACM STOC, pp. 39–50 (1992)Google Scholar
- 8.Black, D., Sleator, D.: Competitive algorithms for replication and migration problems. Tech. Rep. CMU-CS-89-201, CMU (1989)Google Scholar
- 9.Charlikar, M., Halperin, D., Motwani, R.: The dynamic servers problem. In: 9th Annual Symposium on Discrete Algorithms, pp. 410–419 (1998)Google Scholar
- 15.Kopytoff, V.G.: Shifting online, Netflix faces new competition. New York Times (Business Day, Technology) (September 26, 2010)Google Scholar
- 16.Papadimitriou, C., Ramanathan, S., Rangan, P.: Information caching for delivery of personalized video programs for home entertainment channels. In: IEEE International Conf. on Multimedia Computing and Systems, pp. 214–223 (1994)Google Scholar
- 19.Schaffa, F., Nussbaumer, J.P.: On bandwidth and storage tradeoffs in multimedia distribution networks. In: IEEE INFOCOM, pp. 1020–1026 (1995)Google Scholar