Expert Webest Tool: A Web Based Application, Estimate the Cost and Risk of Software Project Using Function Points
There are several area of the software engineering in which we can use the function point analysis (FPA) like project planning, project construction, software implementation etc. In software development, accuracy and efficiency of cost estimation methodology for a web based application is very important. The proposed web based application (i.e. Expert webest tool), is to produce accurate cost estimation and risk estimation throughout the software development cycle to determine feasibility of software project. Cost of the software projects depends on the project size, project type, cost adjustment factor, cost driven factors, nature and characteristics of the project. Software estimation needs to estimates or predict the software costs and software risk early in the software life-cycle.
In this paper we proposed the Expert webest tool in Java, this tool is used to two different purpose, first to estimate the cost of the software & secondly, to estimate the risk in the software. Most of the software’s fails due to over budget, delay in the delivery of the software & so on. Function point is a well known established method to estimate the size of software projects. Its measure of software size that uses logical functional terms, business owners & user, more readily understand.
The management of risks is a central issue in the planning and management of any venture. In the field of software, Risk Management is a critical discipline. The process of risk management embodies the identification, analysis, planning, tracking, controlling, and communication of risk. It gives us a structured mechanism to provide visibility into threats to projects success. Risk management is a discipline for living with the possibility that future events may cause adverse effects. Risk management partly means reducing uncertainty. The propose tool indicates the risk & estimates risk using risk exposure. Management team to estimates the cost & risk within a planned budget and provide a fundamental motivation towards the development of web based application project. Find heuristic risk assessment using cost factors, indicating product & project risk using some risk factors & check some risk management strategies in under estimation development time.
componentCost estimation Expert judgment Risk management strategies Type of risks Expert webest tool Risk factors
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Nadan, K.: Practical software project total cost estimation method. In: IEEE MCIT 2010, pp. 7–10. UAE University (2010)Google Scholar
- 2.Zuse, H.: Software Metrics-Methods to Investigate and Evaluate Software Complexity Measures. In: Proc. Second Annual Oregon Workshop on Software Metrics, Portland (1991)Google Scholar
- 3.International Function Point User Group (IFPUG), Function Point Counting Practices Manual, Release 4.0, IFPUG, Westerville, Ohio (April 1990)Google Scholar
- 4.Gupta, D., Sadiq, M.: Software Risk Assessment and Estimation Model. In: International Conference on Computer Science and Information Technology, pp. 963–967. IEEE Computer Society, Singapore (2008)Google Scholar
- 5.Symons, C.R.: Function Point Analysis Difficulties and Improvements. IEEE Transaction on Software Engineering 14 (January 1, 1988)Google Scholar
- 6.Firesmith, D.: Prioritizing requirements. Journal of Object Technology 3(8) (September 2004)Google Scholar
- 7.Karlsson, J.: Software Requirements Prioritizing. In: Proceedings of the International Conference on Requirement Engineering (1996)Google Scholar
- 8.Li, Z.-Y., Wang, Z.-X., Yang, Y., Wu, Y., Liu, Y.: Towards multiple ontology Framework for Requirements Elicitation and Reuse. In: 31st IEEE Annual International Computer Software and Application Conference (2007)Google Scholar
- 9.Low, G.C., Jeffery, D.R.: Function Point in the Estimation and Evaluation of the Software Process. IEEE Trans. Software Engineering 16(1) (1990)Google Scholar
- 10.Sadiq, M., Ghafir, S., Shahid, M.: A Framework to Prioritize the software Requirements using Quality Function Deployment. In: National Conference on Recent Development in Computing and its Application (2009), organized by Jamia Hamdard, Delhi, IndiaGoogle Scholar
- 12.Anda, B., Angelvik, E., Simula, K.: Improving Estimation Practices by Applying Use Case Models. In: Oivo, M., Komi-Sirviö, S. (eds.) PROFES 2002. LNCS, vol. 2559, pp. 383–397. Springer, Heidelberg (2002)Google Scholar
- 13.Improving Cost Estimation with Quantitative Risk Analysis Be More Precise by Employing Uncertainty by Gregory Nolder, Vose Consulting, http://www.voseconsulting.com
- 14.Hoodat, H., Rashidi, H.: Classification and Analysis of Risks in Software Engineering. World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology 56 (2009)Google Scholar
- 15.Meli, R., Santillo, L.: Function point estimation methods: A comparative overview. Data Processing OrganizationGoogle Scholar
- 16.Meli, R., Satillo, L.: Function Point Measurement Tool for UML Design Specification. Data Processing OrganizationGoogle Scholar