Identification of Handwritten Text in Machine Printed Document Images
In our daily lives we come across many documents where both printed and handwritten text co-exist and sometimes intermingle. As the OCR techniques for processing the two are quite different it is necessary to classify and distinguish them first. In this paper, a scheme has been proposed by which handwritten, printed and “mixed” text regions in the same document image can be identified and demarcated from each other for Bangla, the second most popular Indian script. The proposed scheme has been established on the basis of the structural and statistical idiosyncrasies of printed and handwritten Bangla text.
KeywordsDocument Processing Optical Character Recognition Bangla Script Machine-printed and Handwritten Text Indian Language
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Casey, R.G., Lecolinet, E.: A Survey of Method and Strategies in Character Segmentation. IEEE Transactions in Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence 18(7) (July 1996)Google Scholar
- 2.Bishnu, A., Chaudhuri, B.B.: Segmentation of Bangla Handwritten text into characters by recursive contour following. In: Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Document Analysis and Recognition, pp. 402–405 (1999)Google Scholar
- 3.Pal, U., Chaudhuri, B.B.: Automatic Separation of Machine Printed and Handwritten Text Lines. In: Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Document Analysis and Recognition, pp. 645–648 (1999)Google Scholar
- 5.da Silva, L.F., Conci, A., Sanchez, A.: Automatic Discrimination between Printed and Handwritten Text in Documents. In: IEEE Xplore. Proceedings of the XXII Brazilian Symposium on Computer Graphics and Image Processing (SIBGRAPI), pp. 261–267 (2009)Google Scholar
- 6.Lemaitre, A., Chaudhuri, B.B., Couasnon, B.: Perceptive Vision for Headline Localization in Bangla Handwritten Text Recognition. In: Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Document Analysis and Recognition (2007)Google Scholar
- 7.Pal, U., Datta, S.: Segmentation of Bangla Unconstrained Handwritten Text. In: Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Document Analysis and Recognition (2003)Google Scholar