Particle Based Fluid Animation Using CUDA
Particle based animation employing physical model is a highly compute-intensive technique for realistic animation of fluids. It has been used since its inception for the offline production of high quality special effects of fluids in the movies. However due to intense computational cost, it could not be adapted for real-time animations. This paper primarily focuses on formulation of parallel algorithms for particle based fluid animation using Smoothed Particle Hydrodynamics(SPH) approach employing CUDA enabled GPU to make it near real-time. SPH technique is highly suitable for SIMT architecture of CUDA enabled GPU promising better speedup than CPU based approaches. The most important hurdle in parallelization using CUDA is the existing parallel algorithms do not map efficiently to CUDA. In this paper we have employed parallel sorting based particle grid construction approach to reduce computational cost of SPH density and force computation from O (N2) to O (N).
KeywordsCUDA particle animation smoothed particle hydrodynamics
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.NVIDIA, NVIDIA CUDA C, Programming Guide, version 4.2, http://developer.download.nvidia.com/compute/DevZone/docs/html/C/doc/CUDA_C_Programming_Guide.pdf (visited on May 9, 2012)
- 2.NVIDIA, NVIDIA CUDA C Best Practices Guide, version 3.1, http://develper.download.nvidia.com/compute/DevZone/docs/html/C/doc/CUDA_C_Best_Practices_Guide.pdf (visited on May 9, 2012)
- 3.Jos, S.: Stable fluids. In: ACM SIGGRAPH 1999: Proceedings of the 26th Annual Conference on Computer Graphics and Interactive Techniques, pp. 121–128. ACM Press/Addison-Wesley Publishing Co., New York (1999)Google Scholar
- 4.Foster, N., Fedkiw, R.: Practical Animation of Liquids. In: ACM SIGGRAPH 2001, pp. 21–30 (2001)Google Scholar
- 5.Jos, S.: Real-Time Fluid Dynamics for Games. In: Proceedings of the Game Developer Conference (2003)Google Scholar
- 6.Tan, J., Yang, X.: Physically-based fluid animation: A survey. Science in China Series F: Information Sciences, vol. 52, pp. 723–740. Science China Press, co-published with SpringerLink (May 2009)Google Scholar
- 10.Müller, M., Charypar, D., Gross, M.: Particle-Based Fluid Simulation for Interactive Applications. In: Proceedings of the 2003 ACM SIGGRAPH, pp. 154–159 (2003)Google Scholar
- 11.Harada, T., Koshizuka, S., Kawaguchi, Y.: Smoothed Particle Hydrodynamics on GPUs. In: Proceedings of Computer Graphics International, pp. 63–70 (2007)Google Scholar
- 12.Satish, N., Harris, M., Garland, M.: Designing Efficient Sorting Algorithms for Manycore GPUs. In: Proceedings of 23rd IEEE International Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium, pp. 1–10 (2009)Google Scholar