ISim: A Novel Power Aware Discrete Event Simulation Framework for Dynamic Workload Consolidation and Scheduling in Infrastructure Clouds
Today’s cloud environment is hosted in mega datacenters and many companies host their private cloud in enterprise datacenters. One of the key challenges for cloud computing datacenters is to maximize the utility of the Processing Elements (PEs) and minimize the power consumption of the applications hosted on them. In this paper we propose a framework called ISim, wherein a Datacenter manager playing the role of a Meta-scheduler minimizes power consumption by exploiting different power saving states of the processing elements. The considered power management techniques by the ISim framework are dynamic workload consolidation and usage of low power states on the processing elements. The meta-scheduler aims at maximizing the utility of the cores by performing dynamic workload consolidation using context switching between the cores inside the chip. The Datacenter manager makes use of a prediction algorithm to predict the number of cores that are required to be kept in active state to fulfil the input service request at a given moment, thus maximizing the CPU utilization. The simulation results show, how power can be conserved from the host level till the core level in a datacenter with the optimal usage of different power saving states without compromising the performance.
KeywordsCloud computing power conservation VM provisioning workload prediction dynamic workload consolidation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Boulton, C.: Google Reveals Energy Consumption to Tout Green Efforts (2011), http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Green-IT/Google-Reveals-Energy-Consumption-to-Tout-Green-Efforts-854799/ (accessed September 20, 2011)
- 2.Cloud Computing Could Cut Datacenter Energy Consumption by Nearly One-Third by 2020, http://www.pikeresearch.com/newsroom/cloud-computing-could-cut-data-center-energy-consumption-by-nearly-one-third-by-2020 (accessed September 20, 2011)
- 3.Carbon Disclosure Project. Building a 21st century communications economy (2011), https://www.cdproject.net/en-US/WhatWeDo/Pages/21st-Century-Comms-Economy.aspx accessed September 24, 2011
- 5.Ware, M., Rajamani, K., Floyd, M., Brock, B., Rubio, J.C., Rawson, F., Carter, J.B.: Architecting for Power Management: The IBM POWER 7 Approach. In: IEEE 16th International Symposium High Performance Computer Architecture, HPCA (2010)Google Scholar
- 6.Cardosa, M., Korupolu, M.R., Singh, A.: Shares and Utilities based Power Consolidation in virtualized Server environments. In: IFIP/IEEE International Symposium on Integrated Network Management, New York, pp. 327–334 (2009)Google Scholar
- 7.Le, H.Q., Starke, W.J., Fields, J.S., O’Connell, F.P., Nguyen, D.Q., Ronchetti, B.J., Sauer, W.M., Schwarz, E.M., Vaden, M.T.: IBM POWER6 microarchitecture. IBM Journal of Research and Development 51 (2007)Google Scholar
- 8.Neugebauer, R., McAuley, D.: Energy is just another resource: Energy accounting and energy pricing in the nemesis OS. In: 8th IEEE Workshop on Hot Topics in Operating Systems, pp. 59–64 (2001)Google Scholar
- 10.Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (Amazon EC2) (2011), http://www.amazon.com/ec2/ (accessed September 23, 2011)
- 12.Kim, K.H., Beloglazov, A., Buyya, R.: Power-Aware Provisioning of Virtual Machines for Real-Time Cloud Services. In: Concurrency and Computation: Practice and Experience. Wiley Press, New York (2011)Google Scholar
- 13.Nurmi, D., Wolski, R., Grzegorczyk, C., Obertelli, G., Youseff, S.S.L., Rodnov, D.Z.: The Eucalyptus Open Source Cloud Computing System. In: 9th IEEE/ACM International Symposium on Cluster Computing and the Grid (2009)Google Scholar
- 14.Pinheiro, E., Bianchini, R., Carrera, E.V., Heath, T.: Load balancing and unbalancing for power and performance in cluster-based systems. In: Workshop on Compilers and Operating Systems for Low Power, pp. 182–195 (2001)Google Scholar
- 15.Elnozahy, E., Kistler, M., Rajamony, R.: Energy-efficient server clusters. Power-Aware Computer Systems, 179–197 (2003)Google Scholar