Parallel Performance of Numerical Algorithms on Multi-core System Using OpenMP
The current microprocessors are concentrating on the multiprocessor or multi-core system architecture. The parallel algorithms are recently focusing on multi-core system to take full utilization of multiple processors available in the system. The design of parallel algorithm and performance measurement is the major issue on today’s multi-core environment. Numerical problems arise in almost every branch of science which requires fast solution. System of linear equations has applications in fusion energy, structural engineering, ocean modeling and method of moment formulation. In this paper parallel algorithms for computing the solution of system of linear equations and approximate value of π are presented. The parallel performance of numerical algorithms on multicore system have been analyzed and presented. The experimental results reveal that the performances of parallel algorithms are better than sequential. We implemented the parallel algorithms using multithreading features of OpenMP.
KeywordsMulti-core processors Parallelization Parallel computation Parallel algorithm Performance analysis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Pas, R.V.: Concept in Parallelism. In: IWOMP 2009. Purdue University Wes Lafayette, USA (2008)Google Scholar
- 2.Wilkinson, B., Allen, M.: Parallel Programming. Pearson Education, Singapore (2002)Google Scholar
- 3.Kulkarni, S.G.: Analysis of multi-Core system performance through OpenMP. In: National Conference on Advanced Computing and Communication Technology, IJTES, vol. 1(2), pp. 189–192 (2010)Google Scholar
- 4.Smith, L., Bull, M.: Development of mixed model MPI/ OpenMP applications. Scientific Programming 9(2-3), 83–98 (2001)Google Scholar
- 5.Barbara, C., Jost, G., Pas, R.V.: Using OpenMP: portable shared memory parallel programming. The MIT Press, Cambridge (2008)Google Scholar
- 6.Chandra, R.: Parallel Programming in OpenMP. Morgan Kaufmann (2001)Google Scholar
- 7.Quinn, M.J.: Parallel Programming in C with MPI and OpenMP. McGraw-Hill Higher Education (2004)Google Scholar
- 8.Davis, P.J., Rabinowitz, P.: Methods of Numerical Integration. Academic Press (1975)Google Scholar