Image Restoration Using Knowledge from the Image
There are various real world situations where, a portion of the image is lost or damaged which needs an image restoration. A Prior knowledge of the image may not be available for restoring the image, which demands for a knowledge derivation from the image itself. Restoring the lost portions of the image based on the knowledge obtained from the image area surrounding the lost area is called as Digital Image Inpainting. The information content in the lost area could contain structural information like edges or textural information like repeating patterns. This knowledge is derived from the boundary area surrounding the lost area. Based on this, the lost area is restored by looking at similar information in the same image. Experimentation have been done on various images and observed that the algorithm restores the image in a visually plausible way.
KeywordsSource Region Patch Size Data Term Texture Synthesis Boundary Pixel
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bertalmio, M., Sapiro, G., Caselles, V., Ballester, C.: Image inpainting. In: Proc. ACM Conference Computer Graphics, SIGGRAPH, New Orleans, LU, pp. 417–424 (July 2000), http://mountains.ece.umn.edu/
- de Bonet, J.S.: Multi resolution sampling procedure for analysis and synthesis of texture images. In: Proc. ACM Conference Computer Graphics, SIGGRAPH, vol. 31, pp. 361–368 (1997)Google Scholar
- Harrison, P.: A non-hierarchical procedure for re-synthesis of complex texture. In: Proc. Int. Conf. Central Europe Computer Graphics, Visualization and Computer Vision, Plzen, Czech Republic (February 2001)Google Scholar
- Criminisi, A., Pérez, P., Toyama, K.: Region Filling and Object Removal by Exemplar-Based Image Inpainting, Microsoft Research, Cambridge (UK) and Redmond (US)Google Scholar
- Bertalmio, M., Sapiro, G., Caselles, V., Ballester, C.: Image inpainting. In: Proc. ACM Conference Computer Graphics, SIGGRAPH, New Orleans, LU, pp. 417–424 (July 2000)Google Scholar
- Bertalmio, M., Vese, L., Sapiro, G., Osher, S.: Simultaneous structure and texture image inpainting. In: Proc. Conference Computer Vision Pattern Recognition, Madison, WI (2003)Google Scholar
- Gonzalez, R.C., Woods, R.E.: Digital Image ProcessingGoogle Scholar
- Rutherford, H.: A Practial Introduction to Image Processing using Java. Pearson UniversityGoogle Scholar
- Hertzmann, A., Jacobs, C., Oliver, N., Curless, B., Salesin, D.: Image analogies. In: Proc. ACM Conf. Comp. Graphics, SIGGRAPH, Eugene Fiume (August 2001)Google Scholar