Two-Stage Rejection Algorithm to Reduce Search Space for Character Recognition in OCR
Optical Character Recognition converts text in images into a form that the computer can manipulate. The need for faster OCRs stems from the abundance of such text. This paper presents a Two-Stage Rejection Algorithm for reducing the search space of an OCR. It is tacit that the reduction in search space expedites an OCR. Preprocessing operations are applied on the input and features are extracted from them. These feature vectors are clustered and the Two-Stage Rejection Algorithm is applied for character recognition. With about the same character recognition rate as other OCRs, an OCR reinforced with the Two-Stage Rejection Algorithm is considerably faster.
KeywordsOptical Character Recognition Feature Extraction K-means
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Su, G., Jin, X.: Hidden Markov Model with Parameter-Optimized K-means Clustering for Handwriting Recognition. In: International Conference on Internet Computing and Information Services, pp. 435–438 (2011)Google Scholar
- 2.Sheshadri, K., Ambekar, P.K.T., Prasad, D.P., Kumar, R.P.: An OCR system for Printed Kannada using K-means clustering. In: International Conference on Industrial Technology, pp. 183–187 (2010)Google Scholar
- 3.Tsay, M.-K., Keh-Hwashyu, Chang, P.-C.: Feature Transformation with Generalized Learning Vector Quantization for Hand-Written Chinese Character Recognition. IEICE Transactions on Information & System E82-D (1992)Google Scholar
- 4.Vijay Kumar, B., Ramakrishnan, A.G.: Radial Basis Function And Subspace Approach For Printed Kannada Text Recognition. In: IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing, vol. 5, p. V-321-4 (2004)Google Scholar
- 5.Dubey, P., Sinthupinyo, W.: New Approach on Structural Feature Extraction for Character Recognition. In: International Symposium on Communications and Information Technologies, pp. 946–949 (2010)Google Scholar
- 6.Kleiner, I., Keren, D., Newman, L., Ben-Zwi, O.: Applying property testing to an image partitioning problem. IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence 33(2) (2011)Google Scholar
- 7.Mohanty, S., Dasbebartta, H.N., Behera, T.K.: An Efficient Bilingual Optical Character Recognition (English-Oriya) System for Printed Documents. In: Seventh International Conference on Advances in Pattern Recognition, pp. 398–401 (2009)Google Scholar
- 9.Vuori, V., Laaksonen, J.: A Comparison of Techniques for Automatic Clustering of Handwritten Characters. In: 16th International Conference on Pattern Recognition, vol. 3, pp. 168–171 (2002)Google Scholar