A Decentralised Routing Algorithm for Time Critical Applications Using Wireless Sensor Networks
Wireless Sensor Networks (WSN) are presently creating scenarios of decentralised architectures where application intelligence is distributed among devices. Decentralised architectures are composed of networks that contain sensors and actuators. Actuators base their action on the data gathered by sensors. In this paper, a decentralised routing algorithm called DRATC for time critical applications like fire monitoring and extinguishing is proposed that makes use of the Decentralised Threshold Sensitive routing algorithm. The sensing environment consists of many Monitoring Nodes that sense fire and report the data to the Cluster Head. The Cluster Head directs the Extinguishing Node to extinguish the fire before sending the data to the Base Station.
KeywordsWireless Sensor Networks Decentralised routing algorithm Clusters Cluster Head sensors actuator
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Manjeshwar, A., Agarwal, D.P.: APTEEN: A Hybrid Protocol for Efficient Routing and Comprehensive Information Retrieval in Wireless in Wireless Sensor Networks. In: The Proceedings of the 2nd International Workshop of Parallel and Distributed Computing Issues in Wireless Networks and Mobile Computing, San Francisco, CA (April 2001)Google Scholar
- 2.Manjeshwar, A., Agarwal, D.P.: TEEN: A Protocol for Enhanced Efficiency in Wireless Sensor Networks. In: The Proceedings of the 1st International Workshop on Parallel and Distributed Computing Issues in Wireless Networks and Mobile Computing, San Francisco, CA (April 2001)Google Scholar
- 3.Chamam, A., Pierre, S.: On the Planning of Wireless Sensor Networks: Energy–Efficient Clustering under the Joint Routing and Coverage Constraint. IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing 8(8) (August 2009)Google Scholar
- 4.Steingart, D., et al.: Augmented Cognition For Fire Emergency Response: An Iterative User Study. In: Proceeding of the 1st International Conference on Augmented Cognition, Las Vegas (July 2005)Google Scholar
- 5.Wang, H., et al.: On the Flow Classification Thresholds of FD-MAC Protocol. In: IEEE ICC Proceedings (2011)Google Scholar
- 6.Roseline, R.A., Sumathi, P.: Local Clustering and Threshold Sensitive routing algorithm for Wireless Sensor Networks. In: The IEEE Sponsored International Conference on Devices Circuits and Systems, ICDCS 2012 (March 2012)Google Scholar
- 7.Lindsey, S., Raghavendra, C.S.: PEGASIS: Power-efficient Gathering in Sensor Information System. In: Proceedings IEEE Aerospace Conference, Big Sky, MT, vol. 3, pp. 1125–1130 (March 2002)Google Scholar
- 8.Ye, W., Silva, F., Heidemann, J.: Ultra-low duty cycle mac with scheduled channel polling. In: The 4th ACM Conference on Embedded Networked Sensor Systems, Boulder, CO (November 2006)Google Scholar