Applications of Optically Actuated Haptic Elements
There are missing commercially available large area dynamic tactile displays providing access to high-resolution graphic and Braille for the blind people. This is not solved by currently available displays in the form of a Braille line. The objective of the project NOMS (Nano-Optical Mechanical Systems) is to solve this problem by using optically activated haptic actuators. These will require no hard to assembly moving mechanical parts and have the potential for finer resolution. Recently developed carbon nanotube enriched photoactive polymers provided the starting technology for this purpose. There will be presented development of materials of this kind and their integration into tactile displays.
KeywordsBraille display tactile haptic photo actuation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.HyperBraille, http://www.hyperbraille.de/?lang=en
- 2.KGS Corporation, http://www.kgs-jpn.co.jp/eindex.html
- 3.Project NOMS, http://www.noms-project.eu/
- 5.Spitalsky, Z., Tasis, D., Papalis, K., Galiotis, C.: Progress in Polymer Science 35, 357 (2010)Google Scholar
- 6.Albuerne, J., Boschetti-de-Fierro, A., Abel, V.: Journal of Polymer Science Part B: Polymer Physics 48, 1035 (2010)Google Scholar