Combination of Map-Supported Particle Filters with Activity Recognition for Blind Navigation
By implementing a combination of an activity recognition with a map-supported particle filter we were able to significantly improve the positioning of our navigation system for blind people. The activity recognition recognizes walking forward or backward, or ascending or descending stairs. This knowledge is combined with knowledge from the maps, i.e. the location of stairs. Different implementations of the particle filter were evaluated regarding their ability to compensate for sensor drift.
KeywordsPedestrian Navigation Indoor Navigation Activity Recognition Particle Filter
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Beauregard, S., Widyawan, Klepal, M.: Indoor pdr performance enhancement using minimal map information and particle filters. In: 2008 IEEE/ION Position, Location and Navigation Symposium, pp. 141–147 (May 2008)Google Scholar
- 4.Fox, D., Burgard, W., Dellaert, F., Thrun, S.: Monte carlo localization: Efficient position estimation for mobile robots. In: Proceedings of the National Conference on Artificial Intelligence, pp. 343–349 (1999)Google Scholar
- 5.Hub, A., Schmitz, B.: Addition of RFID-based initialization and object recognition to the navigation system TANIA. In: Proceedings of the California State University, Northridge Center on Disabilities 24th Annual International Technology and Persons with Disabilities Conference (CSUN 2009), Los Angeles, CA, USA (2009)Google Scholar
- 7.Krach, B., Robertson, P.: Cascaded estimation architecture for integration of foot-mounted inertial sensors. In: 2008 IEEE/ION Position, Location and Navigation Symposium, pp. 112–119 (May 2008)Google Scholar
- 9.Schmitz, B., Becker, S., Blessing, A., Großmann, M.: Acquisition and presentation of diverse spatial context data for blind navigation. In: 2011 12th International Conference on Mobile Data Management (MDM), pp. 276–284 (2011)Google Scholar
- 10.Slyper, R., Hodgins, J.K.: Action capture with accelerometers. In: Proceedings of the 2008 ACM SIGGRAPH/Eurographics Symposium on Computer Animation, SCA 2008, pp. 193–199. Eurographics Association, Aire-la-Ville, Switzerland, Switzerland (2008)Google Scholar