Dealing with Changes in Supporting Students with Disabilities in Higher Education
This paper discusses necessary changes and adaptations faced in supporting students with disabilities at Linz University within the last 20 years and the methodology used compared to other support schemes around Europe. The research is based on findings from the study “Social Situation of People with Disabilities in Austria”, the only formal Austrian study also dealing with disability and higher education (as information on a possible “disability” is numbered among “highly sensitive personal data” and therefore not formally surveyed during enrollment), findings from an own survey collecting information from support structures for students with disabilities at Universities in Europe and experiences from supporting students with most diverse (dis-)abilities, skills and knowledge.
KeywordsCounseling Support Disability Students University Higher Education Social Inclusion
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.EU-silc survey, http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/portal/page/portal/microdata/eu_silc (last lookup in January 2012)
- 3.HEAG, Higher Education Accessibility Guide, http://www.european-agency.org/agency-projects/heag (last lookup in January 2012)
- 4.ICC, International Camp on Communication and Computers, http://www.icc-camp.info (last lookup in January 2012)
- 5.Katoh, H., Pauly, M., Hara, S., Nagaoka, H., Miesenberger, K.: Learning from Each Other: Comparing the Service Provision for Blind and Visually-Impaired Students in Post-secondary Education in Japan and Europe. In: Miesenberger, K., Klaus, J., Zagler, W. (eds.) ICCHP 2002. LNCS, vol. 2398, pp. 753–775. Springer, Heidelberg (2002)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.SZS, “Study Center for Visually Impaired Students” at Karlsruhe Institute of Technology, http://www.szs.uni-karlsruhe.de/ (last lookup in January 2012)
- 8.Weiermair-Märki, C., Unterfrauner, E.: Institutional Conditions for the Implementation of Accessible Lifelong Learning (ALL) Based on the EU4ALL Approach. In: Miesenberger, K., Klaus, J., Zagler, W., Karshmer, A. (eds.) ICCHP 2010. LNCS, vol. 6179, pp. 492–494. Springer, Heidelberg (2010)CrossRefGoogle Scholar