Trust Oriented Secured AODV Routing Protocol against Rushing Attack
This research aims to identify the security threats in on-demand routing protocol, AODV for Ad-hoc network. In this context we have extended the AODV protocol with trust and recommendation to secure the network. In AODV, establishment of routing path depends on the faster route request and route reply packets. Rushing attacker exploits such faster traversal activities to attack the network. Firstly, rushing attackers are identified based on their misbehavior in comparison to other nodes of the network. Furthermore, trust value is assigned to the misbehaving node and the same is augmented with other aspects of trust like dependency pattern, context, previous history and dynamicity. Finally, based on threshold value of trust, trust evaluating node takes the decision to include or not to include the trustee node in routing path depending on the final trust value. To facilitate the trust computation and decision of our trust model, AODV is enhanced with different functional modules: Node Manager, Trust Module and Decision Manager. Lastly, AODV secures the routing path by isolating the rushing attacker, based on their trust value. Our analysis and simulation results show the effectiveness of our proposal against rushing attack.
KeywordsAODV rushing attack trustor trustee direct trust indirect trust
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Menaka, A., Pushpa, M.E.: Menaka Pushpa, A.: Trust Based Secure Routing in AODV Routing Protocol. In: IMSAA, Bangalore, pp. 1–6 (2009)Google Scholar
- 2.Xiu, D., Liu, Z.: A Formal Definition for Trust in Distributed Systems. In: Zhou, J., López, J., Deng, R.H., Bao, F. (eds.) ISC 2005. LNCS, vol. 3650, pp. 482–489. Springer, Heidelberg (2005)Google Scholar
- 3.De Rango, F., Marano, S.: Trust-based SAODV Protocol with Intrusion Detection and Incentive Cooperation in MANET. In: IWCMC 2009, Leipzig, Germany (2009)Google Scholar
- 4.Li, J., Moh, T.-S., Moh, M.: Path-Based Reputation System for MANET Routing. In: van den Berg, H., Heijenk, G., Osipov, E., Staehle, D. (eds.) WWIC 2009. LNCS, vol. 5546, pp. 48–60. Springer, Heidelberg (2009)Google Scholar
- 5.Meka, K.D., Virendra, M., Upadhyaya, S.: Trust Based Routing Decisions in Mobile Ad-hoc Networks. CiteSeerX (2009)Google Scholar
- 6.Ayachi, M.A., Bidan, C., Abbes, T., Bouhoula, A.: Misbehavior Detection using Implicit Trust Relations in the AODV Routing Protocol. In: International Conference on Computational Science and Engineering (2009)Google Scholar
- 7.Uddin, M.G., Zulkernine, M.: A Trust Monitoring Architecture for Service Based Software. Springer Science+Business Media, LLC (2009)Google Scholar
- 8.Neisse, R., Wegdam, M., van Sinderen, M., Lenzini, G.: Trust Management Model and Architecture for Context-Aware Service Platforms. Springer, Heidelberg (2007)Google Scholar
- 9.Basagni, S., Conti, M., Giordano, S., Stojmenovic, I.: Mobile Ad Hoc Networking (ch. 10). A John Wiley & Sons, Inc.Google Scholar
- 10.Hu, Y., Perrig, A., Johnson, D.B.: Rushing Attacks and Defense in Wireless Ad Hoc Network Routing Protocol. In: WISE 2003, San Diego, California, USA, September 19 (2003)Google Scholar