Adaptive Region Based Huffman Compression Technique with Selective Code Interchanging
Adaptive version of loss-less Region Based Huffman compression techniques are proposed where a proposed region formation algorithm is used to divide the input file into a number of regions that adapts region size depending on the ASCII value difference of symbols. Huffman codes are obtained for entire file after formation of regions. Code interchanging between the maximum frequency element of a region and maximum frequency element of entire file is done before symbols of that region are compressed. Another variation of the technique where region wise interchanging of code is done based on an additional condition. Comparisons are made among these two compression techniques with Region Based Huffman compression technique, Size Adaptive Region Based Huffman compression technique and classical Huffman technique. The proposed techniques offer better results for most of the files.
KeywordsData compression Huffman tree Frequency Table (FT) Symbol Code Table (SCT) compression ratio Region Based Huffman (RBH) Size Adaptive Region Based Huffman (SARBH)
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Nandi, U., Mandal, J.K.: Size Adaptive Region based Huffman Compression. In: National Symposium on Emerging Trends in Computer Science (ETCS), Barrackpore, India (2012)Google Scholar
- 2.Nandi, U., Mandal, J.K.: Region based Huffman(RB H) Compression Technique with Code Interchange. Malayasian Journal of Computer Science(MJCS), Malayasia 23(2), 111–120 (2010)Google Scholar
- 3.Mandal, J.K., Kumar, A.: A Compression Technique Based on Optimality of Huffman Tree (OHT). In: 12th International Conference of IEEE on Advanced Computing and Communications, Ahmedabad, India, pp. 589–595 (2004)Google Scholar
- 5.Mandal, J.K., Gangopadhayay, R.: Implementation of Two Data Compression Schemes. In: First International Workshop on Telematics, pp. 154–162. NERIST, India (1995)Google Scholar
- 6.Reglebati, H.K.: An Overview of Data Compression Techniques. IEEE Computer, 71–75 (1981)Google Scholar
- 11.Nelson, M.: The Data Compression Book, 2nd edn. BPB Publications, India (2008)Google Scholar
- 12.Kanitkar, Y.: C project, 2nd edn. BPB Publications, India (2002)Google Scholar