On the Fly File Dereplication Mechanism
Resource replication in distributed environment produces issues of secondary storage. Dereplication of resources is required when replication mechanism is hindered due to lack of secondary storage. This paper introduces dereplication approaches that depend upon last modification time, number of replica available and resource size. Comparative study shows that dereplication can be used to overcome the space overhead issue and reduces the dereplication time. Result shows that in case the space required is same but number of files to be dereplicated varies, dereplication time also varies depending on number of files to be dereplicated. Dereplication time will be more for case having large number of files. Also if file size is increasing by 7 times, increase in dereplication time is by 1.5 times. This shows that dereplication time is decoupled from size of files that are dereplicated on the fly dynamically and does not increase proportionally with respect to file size.
KeywordsDereplication Distributed Systems Replication
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Kshemkalyani, A.D.: Distributed Computing Principles, Algorithms and SystemsGoogle Scholar
- 3.Venkatasubramanian, N.: CompOSE|Q - a QoS-enabled customizable middleware framework for distributed computing, Electronic Commerce and Web-based Applications/Middleware. In: 19th IEEE International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems, pp. 134–139 (1999)Google Scholar
- 4.Chou, C.-F., Golubchik, L., Lui, J.C.S.: Striping doesn’t scale: how to achieve scalability for continuous media servers with replication. In: 20th International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems, pp. 64–71 (2000)Google Scholar
- 5.Venkatasubramanian, N., Deshpande, M., Mohapatra, S., Gutierrez-Nolasco, S., Wickramasuriya, J.: Design and implementation of a composable reflective middleware framework. In: 21st International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems, pp. 644–653 (April 2001)Google Scholar
- 6.Santry, D.S., Feeley, M.J., Hutchinson, N.C., Veitch, A.C., Carton, R.W., Ofir, J.: Deciding when to forget in the Elephant file system 33(5), 110–123 (December 1999)Google Scholar