Design and Analysis of Dual Capacitively Loaded C-PIFA
A dual capacitively loaded planar inverted-F antenna (C-PIFA) is proposed and studied. The capacitive loading of the proposed structure reduces the resonant length from λ/4 to less than λ/6. While inheriting the attractive features of PIFAs, such as easy fabrication and low cost, the proposed design exhibits desired GSM bandwidth with high gain. This antenna could be used in mobile devices requiring less weight and high mechanical strength. The proposed structure can be implemented with very thin metal sheet, which accounts for its less weight.
Index TermsFinite ground plane MoM methods patch antenna GSM PIFA
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Pedersen, G., Andersen, J.: Integrated antennas for hand-held telephones with low absorption. In: IEEE 44th Veh. Technol. Conf., Stockholm, Sweden, vol. 3, pp. 1537–1541 (June 1994)Google Scholar
- Taga, T.: Analysis of planar inverted-F antennas and antenna design for portable radio equipment. In: Hirasawa, K., Haneishi, M. (eds.) Analysis, Design and Measurement of Small and Low Profile Antennas, ch. 5. Artech, Boston (1992)Google Scholar
- Chattha, H.T., Huang, Y., Lu, Y.: PIFA Bandwidth Enhancement by Changing the Widths of Feed and Shorting Plates. In: IEEE Antennas And Wireless Propagation Letters, vol. 8, p. 637 (2009)Google Scholar
- Liu, D., Gaucher, B.: The Inverted-F Antenna Height Effects on Bandwidth. IBM T. J. Watson Research Center. IEEE, Yorktown Heights, NY (2005)Google Scholar
- Chan, P.W., Wong, H., Yung, E.K.N.: Wideband planar inverted-F antenna with meandering shortingGoogle Scholar
- Bancroft, R.: Rectangular Microstrip Antennas. In: Microstrip and Printed Antenna Design, 2nd edn., ch. 2, sec 2.5, pp. 36–38. SciTech Publishing, Raleigh (2009)Google Scholar
- Bancroft, R.: Unpublished Witnessed/Notarized Engineering Notebook, October 23 (1998)Google Scholar
- Davidson, D.B., Theron, I.P., Jakobus, U., Landstorfer, F.M., Meyer, F.J.C., Mostert, J., van Tonder, J.J.: Recent progress on the antenna simulation program FEKO. In: Proc. South African Symp. on Communications and Signal Processing, COMSIG, pp. 427–430 (1998)Google Scholar
- Liang, M.C., Lai, K.L., Lin, S.T.: The effect of finite ground on a rectangular C-patch antenna. In: Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, June 22-27, vol. 2, pp. 732–735. IEEE (2003)Google Scholar