Performance Analysis of SCTP Compared to TCP and UDP
The SCTP (Stream Control Transmission Protocol) is relatively newer transport layer protocol which incorporates the core features of TCP (Transmission Control Protocol) and UDP (User Datagram Protocol) and also has many unique features like multihoming and multistreaming. Thus it is necessary to analyze the performance of SCTP and its advantages over TCP and UDP. This paper presents the performance analysis of SCTP compared to TCP and UDP by using two topologies with NS2 simulator. The two topologies are: dumb-bell topology with single home and dual home SCTP. Measured performance parameters are throughput, delay, jitter and packet loss. The results indicate that the throughput of SCTP is better than the throughput of TCP and UDP. The jitter problem is less in SCTP compared to TCP. Transmission delay of SCTP is more compared to TCP and UDP transmission delay. Packet loss is zero for all three protocols. The single home SCTP and dual home SCTP gave similar performance.
KeywordsSCTP throughput jitter delay packet loss multihoming single home SCTP dual home SCTP
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Stewart, R.R., et al.: Stream control transmission protocol. IETF RFC 4960 (September 2007)Google Scholar
- 5.NS-2, The ns Manual (formally known as NS Documentation), http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/doc
- 6.Lachlan, A., Cesar, M., Sally, F., Lawrence, D., Romaric, G., Wang, G., Lars, E., Ha, S., Rhee, I.: Towards a common TCP Evaluation suite. In: Proceedings of International Workshop on Protocols for Fast Long Distance Networks, Manchester, UK (2008)Google Scholar
- 7.Wallace, T.D., Shami, A.: An Analytic Model for the Stream Control Transmission Protocol. In: Proceedings of Global Telecommunications Conference (GLOBECOM), Florida, USA, Deccmber 6-10, pp. 1–5 (2010)Google Scholar
- 8.Cao, Y., Liu, C.: An Extended Throughput Analysis Model for SCTP with Scalable Congestion Control. In: International Forum on Information Technology and Applications (IFITA), Guangzhou, China, July 16-18, vol. 1, pp. 365–368 (2010)Google Scholar
- 10.Charoenwatana, L., Rattanabung, S.: Coexistence of SCTP and TCP variants under self-similar network. In: Proceedings of Eighth International Joint Conference on Computer Science and Software Engineering (JCSSE), Nakhon Pathom, Thailand, May 11-13, pp. 17–22 (2011)Google Scholar
- 11.Yan, H., Gao, D., Song, F., Zhang, L.: Path Selection Based on Single Direction Delay Difference. In: Proceedings of 7th International Conference on Wireless Communications, Networking and Mobile Computing (WiCOM ), Wuhan, China, September 23-25, pp. 1–4 (2011)Google Scholar