Checkpointing and Recovery Using Node Mobility among Clusters in Mobile Ad Hoc Network
In this paper we propose a new mobility aware checkpointing and failure recovery algorithm for cluster based mobile ad hoc network (MANET). Here we introduce a parameter ‘cluster-change-count’, maintained by each member node to count number of clusters a mobile node traverses through during a single checkpoint interval. A mobile node increments ‘cluster-change-count’ by 1 each time the mobile node leaves a cluster and joins another. Each mobile node saves a checkpoint independently if its ‘cluster-change-count’ exceeds a predefined threshold. This measure is important because each mobile node saves logs, important data required for its recovery at different cluster heads it traversed through. If the node fails, these data are to be searched and retrieved for recovery along with last saved checkpoint. This search and retrieval cost of dispersed data of a failed node increases with increasing ‘cluster-change-count’ and gets added to total recovery cost of a failed mobile node. To limit this cost, a threshold value of ‘cluster-change-count’ is set. In MANET no node has stable storage. This makes checkpointing in MANET more challenging. Checkpoint placement needs to be done efficiently to ensure minimum recovery cost and improved recovery probability. We have analyzed performance of the proposed algorithm.
Keywordscheckpoint clustering mobile adhoc network recovery
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Forman, G.H., Zahorjan, J.: The challenges of Mobile Computing. Journal Computer 27(4) (April 1994)Google Scholar
- 2.George, S.E., Chen, I.R., Jin, Y.: Movement-Based Checkpointing and Logging for Recovery in Mobile Computing Systems. In: MobiDE, pp. 51–58 (2006)Google Scholar
- 5.Quaglia, F., Ciciani, B., Baldoni, R.: Checkpointing Protocols in Distri-buted Systems with Mobile Hosts: a Performance analysis. In: Workshop on Fault-Tolerant Parallel and Distributed Systems, pp. 742–755 (2006)Google Scholar
- 6.Prakash, R., Singhal, M.: Low Cost Checkpointing and Failure Recovery in Mobile Computing Systems. IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems 7 (October 1996)Google Scholar
- 7.Jaggi, P.K., Singh, A.K.: Staggered Checkpointing and Recovery in Cluster Based Mobile Ad Hoc Networks. In: Nagamalai, D. (ed.) PDCTA 2011. CCIS, vol. 203, pp. 122–134. Springer, Heidelberg (2011)Google Scholar
- 8.Ying, T., Juang, T., Liu, M.C.: An efficient asynchronous recovery algorithm in wireless mobile adhoc networks. Journal of Internet Technology Special Issue on Wireless Internet: Applications and Systems! 3(2), 147–155 (2002)Google Scholar
- 9.Yi, S., Heo, J., Cho, Y., Hong, J.: Adaptive Mobile Checkpointing Facility for Wireless Sensor Networks. In: Gavrilova, M.L., Gervasi, O., Kumar, V., Tan, C.J.K., Taniar, D., Laganá, A., Mun, Y., Choo, H. (eds.) ICCSA 2006. LNCS, vol. 3981, pp. 701–709. Springer, Heidelberg (2006)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.Basu, P., Khan, N., Little, T.D.C.: A Mobility Based Metric for Clustering in Mobile Ad Hoc NetwoGoogle Scholar