Security and Availability of Data in the Cloud
With advances in the field of cloud computing many computing resources and/or services are being provided to the end user on a pay-as-you-use basis. Data outsourcing is a new paradigm in which a third party provides storage services. This is more cost effective for the user as there is no need of purchasing expensive hardware and software for data storage. The user is also relieved from administrative activities of software upgrades and maintenance. The private data of the enterprises can be stored at secure and reliable sites, and ubiquitously made available to the user on demand. CIA (Confidentiality, Integrity and Availability) are the challenging issues associated with data storage management with/without data outsourcing. This paper proposes a method of data storage which achieves CIA using data dispersal. The practicality of this proposal is demonstrated by implementing it in a private cloud setup using the OpenStack cloud framework.
Keywordsdata security cloud information dispersal
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Juels, A., Burton, J., Kaliski, S.: PORs: Proofs of Retrievability for Large Files. In: Proc. of CCS 2007, pp. 584–597 (2007)Google Scholar
- 3.Bowers, K.D., Juels, A., Oprea, A.: Proofs of Retrievability: Theory and Implementation. In: Cryptology ePrint Archive, Report 2008/175 (2008), http://eprint.iacr.org/
- 4.Wikipedia: Patriot ACT (2012), http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patriot_Act (cited 2012)
- 5.Rauf, D.S.: Politico: Megaupload data: Hosting company chafes at maintenance, http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0312/74354.html (cited 2012)
- 6.Tanke, D.: Cloud Foundary: Analysis of April 25, 26 (2011) Downtime, http://support.cloudfoundry.com/entries/20067876-analysis-of-april-25-and-26-2011-downtime (cited 201l)
- 7.Laing, B.: Windows Azure: Summary of Windows Azure Service Disruption on February 29 (2012), http://blogs.msdn.com/b/windowsazure/archive/2012/03/09/summary-of-windows-azure-service-disruption-on-feb-29th-2012.aspx (cited 2012)
- 8.Amazon Web Services team: Summary of the Amazon EC2 and Amazon RDS Service Disruption in the US East Region, http://aws.amazon.com/message/65648/ (cited 2011)
- 9.Sion, R.: Secure data outsourcing. In: Proc. of the VLDB Conf., pp. 1431–1432 (2007)Google Scholar
- 10.Ge, T., Zdonik, S.B.: Answering aggregation queries in a secure system model. In: Proc. of the VLDB Conf., pp. 519–530 (2007)Google Scholar
- 12.Sion, R., Carbunar, B.: On the computational practicality of private information retrieval. In: Proc. of the Networks and Distributed Systems Security (2007)Google Scholar
- 15.Wang, C., Wang, Q., Ren, K., Lou, W.: Ensuring data storage security in Cloud Computing. In: 17th International Workshop on Quality of Service, IWQoS, vol. 186, pp. 1–9 (2009)Google Scholar