Secure Peer-Link Establishment in Wireless Mesh Networks
Wireless Mesh Network (WMN) has become popular, as it allows fast, easy and inexpensive network deployment. It is observed that the current peer link establishment mechanism presented in IEEE 802.11s draft standard is vulnerable to various kinds of relay and wormhole attacks. In this paper, we propose a certificate-based peer link establishment protocol that employs location information to prevent such attacks. The security analysis shows that the proposed mechanism is resistant against different kinds of wormhole, relay and Sybil attacks.
KeywordsRoot Node Position Information Malicious Node Wireless Mesh Network Mesh Router
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Akyildiz, I.F., Wang, X., Wang, W.: Wireless mesh networks: A survey. Computer Networks and ISDN Systems (2005)Google Scholar
- 2.IEEE P802.11s/D5.0 Part 11: Wireless LAN Medium Access Control (MAC) and Physical Layer (PHY)specifications, Amendment 10: Mesh NetworkingGoogle Scholar
- 3.Zapata, M., Asokan, N.: Securing ad-hoc routing protocols. In: Proceedings of ACM Workshop on Wireless Security, pp. 1–10 (September 2002)Google Scholar
- 4.Li, C., Wang, Z., Yang, C.: Secure Routing for Wireless Mesh Networks. International Journal of Network Security 13(2), 109–120 (2011)Google Scholar
- 5.Zhu, S., Xu, S., Setia, S., Jajodia, S.: LHAP: A Lightweight Hop-by-Hop Authentication Protocol for Ad-Hoc Networks. In: Proceedings of ICDCS International Workshop on Mobile and Wireless Network, Providence, Rodhe Island, pp. 749–755 (May 2003)Google Scholar
- 6.Sangiri, K., Dahil, B.: A secure routing protocol for ad hoc networks. In: Proceedings of 10th IEEE International Conference on Network Protocols, pp. 78–89 (2002)Google Scholar
- 7.Matam, R., Tripathy, S.: FRI Attack: Fraudulent Routing Information Attack on Wireless Mesh Networks. In: Proc. of IEEE Xplore, ACWR (2011)Google Scholar
- 8.Hu, Y., Perrig, A., Johnson, D.: Packet leashes: A defence against wormhole attacks in wireless networks. In: Proc. of the Twenty-second IEEE International Conference on Computer Communications (April 2003)Google Scholar
- 9.Poovendran, R., Lazos, L.: A graph theoretic framework for preventing the wormhole attack in wireless ad hoc networks. ACM Journal of Wireless Networks 13(1), 2759 (2005)Google Scholar
- 10.Wang, X., Wong, J.: An end-to-end detection of wormhole attack in wireless ad-hoc networks. In: Proc. of the Thirty-First Annual International Computer Software and Applications Conference (July 2007)Google Scholar
- 11.Wang, Y., Zhang, Z.: A Distributed Approach for Hidden Wormhole Detection with Neighborhood Information. In: IEEE Fifth International Conference on Networking, Architecture and Storage, NAS (2010)Google Scholar
- 12.Hayajneh, T., Krishnamurthy, P., Tipper, D.: Deworm: A simple protocol to detect wormhole attacks in wireless ad hoc networks. In: Proceedings of the IEEE Symposium on Network and System Security (2009)Google Scholar