Composing Signatures for Misuse Intrusion Detection System Using Genetic Algorithm in an Offline Environment
In recent years Internet has experienced a rapid expansion and also facing increased no. of security threats. However many technological innovations have been proposed for information assurance but still protection of computer systems has been difficult. With the rapid growth of Internet technology, a high level of security is needed for keeping the data resources and equipments secure. In this context intrusion detection (ID) has become an important area of research since building a system with no vulnerabilities has not been technically feasible.
In this paper, a Genetic Algorithm based approach is presented for network misuse intrusion detection system. The proposed genetic algorithm uses a set of classification rules which are generated from a predefined intrusion behavior. From the results it could be concluded that by applying proposed rule based network intrusion detection algorithm, more no. of intrusions can be detected.
KeywordsGenetic algorithm misuse intrusion detection information assurance data set
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Satya Keerthi, N.V.L.C., Prasanna, P.L., Priscilla, B.M.: Ïntrusion Detection system Using Genetic Algorithm. Int. Journal of P2P Network Trends and Technology 1(2), 1–7 (2011)Google Scholar
- 2.Jiang, M., Munawar, M., Reidemeister, T., Ward, P.: Efficient Fault Detection and Diagnosis in Complex Software Systems with Information–Theoretic Monitoring. IEEE Trans. on Dependable and Secure Computing (99) (2011)Google Scholar
- 3.Owais, S.S.J., Krömer, P., Snášel, V.: Implementing GP on Optimizing Boolean and Extended Boolean Queries in IRs with Respect to Users Profiles. In: Proc. IEEE ICCES 2006, Egypt, pp. 412–417 (2006)Google Scholar
- 4.Owais, S.: Optimization of Boolean Queries in Information Retrieval Systems Using GAs-Genetic Programming and Fuzzy Logic. In: CSIT 2006, Jordan, vol. 2, pp. 303–314 (2006)Google Scholar
- 5.Owais, S., Krömer, P., Snašel, V.: Query Optimization by Genetic Algorithms. In: DATESO, pp. 125–137 (2005) ISBN: 80-01-03204-3Google Scholar
- 6.Koza, J.: Genetic Programming: On the Programming of Computers by Means of Natural Selection. The MIT Press (1992)Google Scholar
- 7.Zhao, J.L., Zhao, J.F., Li, J.J.: Intrusion Detection Based on Clustering Genetic Algorithm. In: Proc. Int. Conf. on Machine Learning and Cybernetics, vol. 6, pp. 3911–3914 (2005)Google Scholar
- 8.Diaz-Gomez, P.A., Hougen, D.F.: Three Approaches to Intrusion Detection Analysis and Enhancements. In: Proc. VI National Computer and Information Security Conference ACIS, Colombia (2006)Google Scholar
- 9.Li, W.: Using Genetic Algorithm for Network Intrusion Detection. In: Proc. of the United States Department of Energy Cyber Security Group (2004)Google Scholar
- 10.Gong, R.H., Zulkernine, M., Abolmaesumi, P.: A software Implementation of a Genetic Algorithm Based Approach to Network Intrusion Detection. In: Proc. Int. Workshop on Self-Assembling Wireless Networks, pp. 246–253 (2005)Google Scholar
- 13.Sinclair, L.P., Matzner, S.: An Application of Machine Learning to Network Intrusion Detection. In: Proc. 15th Annual Conf. on Computer Security Applications (ACSAC), pp. 371–377 (1999)Google Scholar
- 14.Pohlheim, H.: Genetic and Evolutionary Algorithms: Principles, Meth-ods and Algorithms, http://www.geatbx.com/docu/index.html