A Parallel Space-Time Finite Difference Solver for Periodic Solutions of the Shallow-Water Equation
We investigate parallel algorithms for the solution of the shallow-water equation in a space-time framework. For periodic solutions, the discretized problem can be written as a large cyclic non-linear system of equations. This system of equations is solved with a Newton iteration which uses two levels of preconditioned GMRES solvers. The parallel performance of this algorithm is illustrated on a number of numerical experiments.
KeywordsPeriodic Solution Parallel Performance Shallow Water Equation Newton Iteration Newton Step
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Heroux, M.A., Bartlett, R.A., Howle, V.E., Hoekstra, R.J., Hu, J.J., Kolda, T.G., Lehoucq, R.B., Long, K.R., Pawlowski, R.P., Phipps, E.T., Salinger, A.G., Thornquist, H.K., Tuminaro, R.S., Willenbring, J.M., Williams, A., Stanley, K.S.: An overview of the Trilinos project. ACM Trans. Math. Softw. 31(3), 397–423 (2005)MathSciNetMATHCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 3.Hiltebrand, A.: Parallel solution of time-periodic problems. Master thesis, ETH Zurich, Institute of Fluid Dynamics (March 2011)Google Scholar
- 10.Stoll, M., Wathen, A.: All-at-once solution of time-dependent PDE-constrained optimization problems. Technical Report 10/47, Oxford Centre for Collaborative Applied Mathematics, Oxford, England (2010)Google Scholar
- 11.The Trilinos Project Home Page, http://trilinos.sandia.gov/
- 12.Vreugdenhil, C.B.: Numerical Methods for Shallow-Water Flow. Kluwer, Dordrecht (1994)Google Scholar