Introduction of Software Product Management at Wincor Nixdorf: Challenges and Lessons Learned
The importance of product management in the software industry is widely recognized and empirically validated. Despite its importance, the maturity level of software product management in companies is low, many companies struggle with the challenge of introducing product management. This paper describes a real-world industry experience report of a product management introduction project in a banking and retail IT Solutions Company. We illustrate the initial situation before the product management introduction project, the approach that has been pursued within the project, the challenges of the first year and the experiences that have been made.
KeywordsProduct Management Business Case Effort Estimation Software Industry Product Definition
We would like to thank the consulting company McKinsey, who guided the introduction project from an external perspective.
- Condon, D. (2002). Inside the minds: Software product management: Managing software development from idea to product to marketing to sales. Boston: Aspatore Books.Google Scholar
- Ebert, C. (2009). Software product management. Crosstalk, 22, 15–19.Google Scholar
- Gorchels, L. (2000). The product manager’s handbook: The complete product management resource. New York: McGraw-Hill Professional.Google Scholar
- Kilpi, T. (1998). Improving software product management process: Implementation of a product support system. Proceedings of the thirty-first Hawaii international conference on system sciences, 1998 (Vol. 6, pp. 3–12). Kohala Coast, Hawaii: USA.Google Scholar
- Kittlaus, H. B., & Clough, P. N. (2009). Software product management and pricing: Key success factors for software organizations. Berlin/Heidelberg: Springer.Google Scholar
- Pragmatic Marketing, Inc. (2012). Pragmatic marketing framework. Retrieved April 17, 2012, http://www.pragmaticmarketing.com/pragmatic-marketing-framework
- van de Weerd, I., Brinkkemper, S., Nieuwenhuis, R., Versendaal, J., & Bijlsma, L. (2006). Towards a reference framework for software product management. 14th IEEE international conference on requirements engineering (pp. 319–322). Luxemburg.Google Scholar
- Weerd, I., Bekkers, W., & Brinkkemper, S. (2010). Developing a maturity matrix for software product management. Software Business, 51, 76–89.Google Scholar