From Linear Temporal Logic Properties to Rewrite Propositions
In the regular model-checking framework, reachability analysis can be guided by temporal logic properties, for instance to achieve the counter example guided abstraction refinement (CEGAR) objectives. A way to perform this analysis is to translate a temporal logic formula expressed on maximal rewriting words into a “rewrite proposition” – a propositional formula whose atoms are language comparisons, and then to generate semi-decision procedures based on (approximations of) the rewrite proposition. This approach has recently been studied using a nonautomatic translation method. The extent to which such a translation can be systematised needs to be investigated, as well as the applicability of approximated methods wherever no exact translation can be effected. This paper presents contributions to that effect: (1) we investigate suitable semantics for LTL on maximal rewriting words and their influence on the feasibility of a translation, and (2) we propose a general scheme providing exact results on a fragment of LTL corresponding mainly to safety formulæ, and approximations on a larger fragment.
KeywordsTemporal Logic Linear Temporal Logic Propositional Formula Reachability Analysis Tree Automaton
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Bae, K., Meseguer, J.: The linear temporal logic of rewriting Maude model checker. In: Ölveczky , pp. 208–225Google Scholar
- 3.Boichut, Y., Genet, T., Jensen, T.P., Roux, L.L.: Rewriting approximations for fast prototyping of static analyzers. In: Baader , pp. 48–62Google Scholar
- 4.Boichut, Y., Héam, P.C., Kouchnarenko, O.: Approximation-based tree regular model-checking. Nord. J. Comput. 14(3), 216–241 (2008)Google Scholar
- 6.Boyer, B., Genet, T.: Verifying Temporal Regular Properties of Abstractions of Term Rewriting Systems. In: RULE. EPTCS, vol. 21, pp. 99–108 (2009)Google Scholar
- 8.Dershowitz, N., Jouannaud, J.P.: Rewrite Systems. In: Handbook of Theoretical Computer Science, Volume B: Formal Models and Sematics (B), pp. 243–320 (1990)Google Scholar
- 9.Escobar, S., Meseguer, J.: Symbolic model checking of infinite-state systems using narrowing. In: Baader , pp. 153–168Google Scholar
- 12.Kamp, H.W.: Tense Logic and the Theory of Linear Order (1968)Google Scholar
- 13.Manna, Z., Pnueli, A.: Temporal Verification of Reactive Systems - Safety. Springer (1995)Google Scholar