Optimal Battery Management with ADHDP in Smart Home Environments
In this paper an optimal controller for battery management in smart home environments is presented in order to save costs and minimize energy waste. The considered scenario includes a load profile that must always be satisfied, a battery-system that is able to storage electrical energy, a photovoltaic (PV) panel, and the main grid that is used when it is necessary to satisfy the load requirements or charge the battery. The optimal controller design is based on a class of adaptive critic designs (ACDs) called action dependent heuristic dynamic programming (ADHDP). Results obtained with this scheme outperform the ones obtained by using the particle swarm optimization (PSO) method.
KeywordsParticle Swarm Optimization Action Network Particle Swarm Optimization Algorithm Optimal Controller Particle Swarm Optimization Method
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Riffonneau, Y., Bacha, S., Barruel, F., Ploix, S.: Optimal power flow management for grid connected PV systems with batteries. IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy (2011)Google Scholar
- 2.Changsong, C., Shanxu, D., Tao, C., Bangyin, L., Huazhong, Y.: Energy trading model for optimal microgrid scheduling based on genetic algorithm. In: IEEE 6th International Power Electronics and Motion Control Conference (2009)Google Scholar
- 3.Huang, T., Liu, D.: Residential Energy System Control and Management using Adaptive Dynamic Programming. In: Conference on Neural Networks, San Jose, California, USA (2011)Google Scholar
- 4.Gudi, N., Wang, L., Devabhaktuni, V., Depuru, S.S.S.R.: A demand-side management simulation platform incorporating optimal management of distributed renewable resources. In: Power Systems Conference and Exposition. IEEE/PES (2011)Google Scholar
- 5.Morais, H., Kádár, P., Faria, P., Vale, Z.A., Khodr, H.M.: Optimal scheduling of a renewable micro-grid in an isolated load area using mixed-integer linear programming. Renewable Energy - An International Journal (2009)Google Scholar
- 6.Del Valle, Y., Venayagamoorthy, G.K., Mohagheghi, S., Hernandez, J.C., Harley, R.G.: Particle swarm optimization: basic concepts, variants and applications in power systems. IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation (2008)Google Scholar
- 7.Werbos, P.J.: Approximate dynamic programming for real-time control and neural modeling. In: Handbook of Intelligent Control (1992)Google Scholar
- 8.Welch, R.L., Venayagamoorthy, G.K.: Optimal control of a photovoltaic solar energy with adaptive critics. In: Proceedings of the International Joint Conference on Neural Networks (IJCNN) (2007)Google Scholar
- 9.Welch, R.L., Venayagamoorthy, G.K.: HDP based optimal control of a grid independent PV system. In: IEEE Power Engineering Society General Meeting (2006)Google Scholar
- 10.Si, J., Wang, Y.T.: On-line learning control by association and reinforcement. IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks (2001)Google Scholar
- 11.National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) of U.S. Department of Energy, Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy, operated by the Alliance for Sustainable Energy, LLC, http://www.nrel.gov/rredc/