Digital Traveler Assistant
Currently most car drivers use static routing algorithms based on the shortest distance between start and end position. But the shortest route is different from the fastest route in time. Because existing routing algorithms lack the ability to react to dynamic changes in the road network, drivers are not optimally routed. The current traffic situation can be assessed by tracking car drivers provided with a smart GPS device. The real challenge is to predict future delays in travelling time. In this paper we present a multi-agent approach for routing vehicle drivers using historically-based traffic information. we successfully implemented a working prototype that uses various technologies such as Java, the Open Street Map API for rendering the map or J2ME for the mobile phone client.
KeywordsDynamic Routing Predicting Travelling Time Personal Assistant Hand-held Devices
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Kerner, B.S.: The Physics of Traffic. Springer (2004)Google Scholar
- 2.Wardrop, J.: Some theoretical aspects of road traffic research. In: Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers, Part II, vol. 1(36), pp. 352–362 (1952)Google Scholar
- 11.Vliet, Hall, M.V., Willumsen, D.: Saturn - a simulation assignment model for the evaluation of traffic management schemes. Traffic Engineering and Control 21(4), 168–176 (1980)Google Scholar
- 12.Taylor, N.B.: Contram dynamic traffic assignment model. Networks and Spatial Economics, 297–322 (1980)Google Scholar
- 13.Abdelfatah, A., Mahmassani, H.: A simulation-based signal optimization algorithm within a dynamic traffic assignment framework. In: Proceedings of 2001 IEEE Intelligent Transportation Systems, pp. 428–433 (2001)Google Scholar
- 15.Kisgy, L., Rilett, L.R.: Travel time prediction by advanced neural network. Periodica Polytechnica Ser. Civ. Eng. 46 (2002)Google Scholar
- 16.Hobeika, A., Kim, C.K.: Traffic flow-prediction systems based on upstream traffic, pp. 345–350 (1994)Google Scholar
- 17.Li, Y., McDonald, M.: Link travel time estimation using single GPS-equipped probe vehicle, pp. 932–937 (2002)Google Scholar
- 19.Yu, J., Chang, G.-L., Ho, H., Liu, Y.: Variation based online travel time prediction using clustered neural networks (2008)Google Scholar