A Depth Camera Based Fall Recognition System for the Elderly
Falls are a great risk for elderly people living alone. Falls can result in serious injuries and in some cases even deaths. It is important to recognize them early and provide assistance. In this paper we present a novel computer vision based fall recognition system which combines depth map with normal color information. With this combination it is possible to achieve better results as depth map reduces many errors and gives more information about the scene. We track and extract motion from the depth as well RGB map and then use Support Vector Machines to classify the falls. Our proposed fall recognition system recognizes and classifies falls from other actions with a very high accuracy (greater than 95%).
Keywordsfall detection SVM feature extraction depth image
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Zhang, T., Wang, J., Liu, P., Hou, J.: Fall Detection by Embedding an Accelerometer in Cellphone and Using KFD Algorithm. IJCSNS International Journal of Computer Science and Network Security 6(10) (October 2006)Google Scholar
- 2.Zhang, T., Wang, J., Xu, L., Liu, P.: Fall Detection by Wearable Sensor and One-Class SVM Algorithm. Intelligent Computing in Signal Processing and Pattern RecognitionGoogle Scholar
- 3.Khan, M.J., Habib, H.A.: Video Analytic for Fall Detection from Shape Features and Motion Gradients. In: Proceedings of the World Congress on Engineering and Computer Science, WCECS 2009, San Francisco, USA, October 20-22, vol. II (2009)Google Scholar
- 4.Rougier, C., Meunier, J., St-Arnaud, A., Rousseau, J.: Fall Detection from Human Shape and Motion History Using Video Surveillance. In: Advanced Information Networking and Applications Workshops, AINAW 2007, Dept. d’Inf. et de Rech. Operationnelle, Univ. de Montreal, Montreal, QC (2007)Google Scholar
- 5.Töreyin, B., Dedeoglu, Y., et al.: Hmm based falling person detection using both audio and video. In: IEEE International Workshop on Human-Computer Interaction, Beijing, China (2005)Google Scholar
- 6.Jansen, B., Temmermans, F., Deklerck, R.: 3D human pose recognition for home monitoring of elderly. In: Proceedings of the 29th Annual International Conference of the IEEE EMBS Cité Internationale, Lyon, France, August 23-26 (2007)Google Scholar
- 9.Ni, B., Wang, G., Moulin, P.: RGBD-HuDaAct: A Color-Depth Video Database For Human Daily Activity Recognition. In: ICCV Workshop on Consumer Depth Camera (2011)Google Scholar
- 10.Krapp, K.: Activities of daily living evaluation. Encyclopedia of Nursing and Allied Health (2002)Google Scholar